Phosphate issue???

Peeper

May 31, 2020
Maple Shade, NJ
Just opened pool Monday. No chlorine dectected 1 day after shocking. We had phosphate issue last year, 300 ppm or so. Phosfree added and water was fine rest of year. Water was balanced yesterday a.m. and we added stabilizer. Now no chlorine detected. With current situation can't have water tested for phosphates. Do phosphates always return once you have had an issue? Is it safe to add Phosfree without knowing this is indeed the cause?
FC 3.4 yesterday. Today 0
Ph 7.2
Alkalinity 100
CYA 80
THANK YOU!

Phosphates don’t matter if your chlorine is at appropriate levels. Some will always return to the pool via organic debris that enters it from plants, leaves, etc. falling into the pool.

We have a different way of handling pool chemicals here - knowing exactly what’s in the pool with your own testing and only adding what’s necessary. Phosphates aren’t needed to be worried about with the way we care for pools here. :)

For what it’s worth, I have a WaterGuru and get a lab test included every year. My current phosphates are 1147ppb. :) Pool looks like this.

4A9E994E-7DA3-4C09-BA4C-5A8237C99BF7.jpeg

P,

Phosphates are measured in parts per billion... so 300 ppb is almost zero..

We don't believe that they matter for most people, and certainly not unless they are over 3 or 4 thousand...

That said, if it makes you feel better, go ahead and add some "Phosfre".. it is your money and it won't hurt anything. (Nor will it fix anything)

You could just send me the money, and I'll say a magic prayer, and your pool will look about the same.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

3.4 FC at 80 CYA isn't even maintenance levels, let alone coming off a "shock."

Since you're new, we'll cut you some slack. ;)

Chlorine is a consumable item. In a pristine pool you're going to lose 2-4 FC every day to the sun. If there's any organic debris --- leaves, dead bugs, skin cells, algae -- your usage will be higher. A green pool will eat chlorine about as fast as you can pour it in.

The big question is "How does your water look?" Is it green? Cloudy? Hazy? Sparkling? The next steps depend on that more than anything.

3.4 FC at 80 CYA isn't even maintenance levels, let alone coming off a "shock."

Since you're new, we'll cut you some slack. ;)

Chlorine is a consumable item. In a pristine pool you're going to lose 2-4 FC every day to the sun. If there's any organic debris --- leaves, dead bugs, skin cells, algae -- your usage will be higher. A green pool will eat chlorine about as fast as you can pour it in.

The big question is "How does your water look?" Is it green? Cloudy? Hazy? Sparkling? The next steps depend on that more than anything.
Pool is clear and sparkling.

Reactions: IceShadow
Any rough guess as to how much bleach? You say not to add pucks or powder shock. Is that just until we get to the levels we needs to be? Thank you so much for your help.
Please check out this link.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Here’s a video too.

You need to use liquid chlorine or your other chemicals in your pool will go higher and you’ll end up needing to drain the pool to fix it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any rough guess as to how much bleach? You say not to add pucks or powder shock. Is that just until we get to the levels we needs to be? Thank you so much for your help.

How much depends on how strong the bleach is. Some is 6%. Some is 8. Pool chlorine liquid is the same but comes in 10 or 12½% There's no way for me to tell you. You can use PoolMath or download the app. I think the link is on there. They work the same. You enter pool size and the now and the target and select the strength and it will tell you how many ounces.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.