Phin testing

Dirk - just confirmed with pool builder that he is here to help with the startup process from a chemical perspective, but that nothing in the contract states that he will take care of the pool for the first month. So it’s all me. Waiting on test kit (got speedstir) today and will post results so you all can walk me through what to do next. Thanks so much! I also got the syringes that Yev recommended.

Reactions: kimkats and Dirk
Uhg. That's a suspicious number. As in very high. I'm not sure that's possible or not. I would start adding muriatic acid in small doses, like 5 to 10 oz at a time (if you have 31% acid) to see if you can get that number to come down. Dose, circulate for 30 minutes and retest. Repeat.

Are you sure you have calibrated the tester correctly? Do you have any other pH tester available (like one of the dropper ones), to double-check your readings? Generally speaking your pH should be in the 7s. New plaster/pebble will keep it on the rise, so it's important that you test and dose as needed to keep the pH in check. Adding acid everyday if need be. When was the last time any acid was added?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaouiomar
Uhg. That's a suspicious number. As in very high. I'm not sure that's possible or not. I would start adding muriatic acid in small doses, like 5 to 10 oz at a time (if you have 31% acid) to see if you can get that number to come down. Dose, circulate for 30 minutes and retest. Repeat.

Are you sure you have calibrated the tester correctly? Do you have any other pH tester available (like one of the dropper ones), to double-check your readings? Generally speaking your pH should be in the 7s. New plaster/pebble will keep it on the rise, so it's important that you test and dose as need to keep the pH in check. Adding acid everyday if need be. When was the last time any acid was added?
Added acid about 6 days ago. Confirmed calibration of the pH reader as I have the bottles of solution that come with it that are reading accurately. I will buy some more muriatic acid tomorrow. Does this one work fine?

Attachments

• 4D3F53B5-9978-48EC-9136-234D56F18AA5.jpeg
    4D3F53B5-9978-48EC-9136-234D56F18AA5.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 8
If you're asking about the acid, yes, perfect. About the test strips, no, junk.

Buy at least five gallons. Virtually no amount will go unused. You'll be using a lot of acid for the first year, and you'll very likely be using acid forever. It lasts a long time, so you don't have to worry about it getting old. Don't store it in your garage, or around anything metal. I store mine outside in an all plastic Suncast deck box. MA will attack anything metal and corrode it very quickly. DO NOT store your MA in the same bin as your chlorine. The two together can form a harmful gas byproduct.

Checking/dosing acid every six days is not enough for a new finish. Which would explain your 8.7 result. You test it every day until the pH seems to hold for more than a day, then every other day until the pH holds for two days, etc. However often it gets above eight, you dose it back down (but not too low). This is one of the things I meant when I hinted that your startup process might not be well executed. You can't rely on a PB to come by everyday, but that's what a great startup process sometimes requires: attention every day. You've been given the green light to take it over, so do. That's why I asked about that, so that I could then encourage you to start managing your startup process yourself and do as good a job as possible. The better your startup, the better your finish will look and last.

Reactions: Alaouiomar
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.