pHin monitoring float

Sep 24, 2018
Midland, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, Was wondering if anyone has tried to use pHin continuous water monitoring system. www.phin.co is their website. I am tempted to purchase and then add my own chemicals. Just wanted to see if anyone is using it already or has any input.

thanks,
Dora

Put phin in the search box at the top and you will find a few past discussions about it.

If you do pull the trigger on this, be sure to checo the pHin results against results from your test kit.

I think I'd do side by side testing for about 2 weeks just to make sure the pHin is reliable compared to your test kit results.

ETA: I went to their website to get more info. It consists of one page,, with one additional page for purchasing at $389, and a video supposedly telling you how it works. Well, it didnt. Just a light glossing over of what it does, more an ad than informational.

No idea how it works. Super pricey. Website not informational enough. No mention of a warranty.

I personally would pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirker
So just to add my .02 to this thread based on actual user experience. The pHin is NOT worth it. It only measures pH, Sanatizer and Temp. The TA, CYA and TH are done by taking a picture of a test strip against a calibration card through their app which is uploaded to their site. If you subscribe to their 1yr* chemical subscription you get 6 shipments or 130lbs... which don't include anything to adjust CYA, TA or TH. Only pH up, pH down, non-chlorine shock oxidizer, super chlorination, chlorination tabs and some pool oxidizer thing to put in the pump basket. Did I mention it doesnt monitor chlorine? If you use up all the chemicals either by weight or number of shipments you're out of luck and have to pay extra. Not to mention they keep shipping chemicals that you never use... which shouldn't be the case since they monitor your inventory usage. I think I have enough pH up to supply my entire neighborhood. For consumption reference, I started using the pHin on Apr 22 and just received a UPS shipping notification for my 6th shipment arriving tomorrow... and it's only Aug 14th.

Bottim line, knowing what I know now from finding this site... I would have never bought the pHin and am convinced it's all marketing. Oh, and after a year and a half or maybe two yrs you are forced to buy another device as it just stops working and isnt serviceable.

Okay, I'm done ranting but wanted to share accurate information as to the details of the pHin and service to better inform folks as to the reality of this device.

So just to add my .02 to this thread based on actual user experience. The pHin is NOT worth it. It only measures pH, Sanatizer and Temp. The TA, CYA and TH are done by taking a picture of a test strip against a calibration card through their app which is uploaded to their site. If you subscribe to their 1yr* chemical subscription you get 6 shipments or 130lbs... which don't include anything to adjust CYA, TA or TH. Only pH up, pH down, non-chlorine shock oxidizer, super chlorination, chlorination tabs and some pool oxidizer thing to put in the pump basket. Did I mention it doesnt monitor chlorine? If you use up all the chemicals either by weight or number of shipments you're out of luck and have to pay extra. Not to mention they keep shipping chemicals that you never use... which shouldn't be the case since they monitor your inventory usage. I think I have enough pH up to supply my entire neighborhood. For consumption reference, I started using the pHin on Apr 22 and just received a UPS shipping notification for my 6th shipment arriving tomorrow... and it's only Aug 14th.

Bottim line, knowing what I know now from finding this site... I would have never bought the pHin and am convinced it's all marketing. Oh, and after a year and a half or maybe two yrs you are forced to buy another device as it just stops working and isnt serviceable.

Okay, I'm done ranting but wanted to share accurate information as to the details of the pHin and service to better inform folks as to the reality of this device.
This was a very helpful rant. Thank you. I was considering purchasing instead of going to the TF-100 route, which I've been advised to do a half dozen times. Guess I need to really learn to do it the old fashioned way. Such a pain, though. Thanks again.

This was a very helpful rant. Thank you. I was considering purchasing instead of going to the TF-100 route, which I've been advised to do a half dozen times. Guess I need to really learn to do it the old fashioned way. Such a pain, though. Thanks again.
You're welcome! Honestly, this site has been a gift from above for me and really simplified my understanding of how to properly maintain my pool and chemicals. The TF test kit is great and the instructions included within take the guesswork out of it. Others have mentioned this but I'll attest to it... I've really learned my pool and how it reacts to temps, etc.

Reactions: fatboy1271
I wish there was a way to have something like this that could give you actual accurate readings, but with today's tech it isn't going to happen. I work in a medical lab, and a lot of the tests that we do are the same concepts as pool testing. Those tests can be run very expensively and less accurately at the patient's side, or very cheaply and very accurately in the labs on large machines, which use the same concepts with reagents etc that we use with a Taylor or similar kit. The only way I could think of to do something like this would be something that tapped in to the return to the pool from the filter, and it would require reagents to be kept full, a drain that could deal with reagent-heavy water, and would require some way to clean itself automatically (if someone isn't going to do the tests themselves, they aren't going to clean something like this). This type of setup would cost more than any sane person would be willing to pay.

Make sure to get the speed stir with the kit. Will make mixing waaaayyyyy easier. Press a button, add drops until color changes, done. It's pricey, but way worth it if you want easy.

Ryan

Reactions: WingsAA
Well TFP does it again, you guys just saved me $350 bucks because I was willing to test this thing, but I’ll stick to my reliable TF-100.
Thanks!

A small donation of your savings is always appreciated to keep the lights on in this volunteer site that has no advertising or referral links...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A small donation of your savings is always appreciated to keep the lights on in this volunteer site that has no advertising or referral links...

Sure! I also use the full version of Pool math, which is great and I recommend to everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: WingsAA and mknauss
Make sure to get the speed stir with the kit. Will make mixing waaaayyyyy easier. Press a button, add drops until color changes, done. It's pricey, but way worth it if you want easy.

Ryan
I got the speedstir and can't imagine living without it! Thanks

Reactions: cannoncd
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.