PH won’t reduce

Racer

Mar 29, 2019
Lubbock, TX
I have had a PH of 8.0-8.2- (based on my Taylor test kit) for 3 days.
I have treated with acid per the pool math app, and the levels have not come down. I was using 31.45% that I bought from Home Depot early this week.
Is it possible I have gotten a bad acid, or that I’m doing something wrong.

Newly plastered pool will have a consistent pH rise.

Is your pool builder done with maintaining the water chemistry for start up?

More complete guidance can be given with a full set of test results from your own test kit.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

When your pH tests 8 drop it to 7.6.

Double check the strength of the MA and what you are selecting in POOLMATH.

How long after you add MA do you test? MA is quick to disperse. Test for results 30 minutes after adding MA.

I tested and treated a couple times today. Tested 5 hours after adding MA this morning. The I added MA again, and tested 2 hours later.
It lowered slightly, but still not at 7.8.
I’ll test again in the morning.

Be sure you are entering your value for TA in PoolMath when determining how much acid to use.

I tested and treated a couple times today. Tested 5 hours after adding MA this morning. The I added MA again, and tested 2 hours later.
It lowered slightly, but still not at 7.8.
I’ll test again in the morning.

Testing hours after you have added MA, pH has risen again. Test 20 minutes after adding MA and circulating with your pump on high and see what you get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since you have a new pool, can we assume your test kit is fresh? Double check the expiration date on your pH reagent and that you're using the right one for your test kit. I'm not a big fan of pool store testing, but you may want to take in a sample to get another set of eyes on it. Just my 2 cents...

In total I’ve added almost a gallon in 3 days.
32oz Friday, 52 oz Saturday and 39 oz Sunday. I’ve been using 31.45%, and I did double check that I’m selecting the right % in pool math.

Ha! I was adding like a gallon a day when my pool was new.

Racer -- I suspect your fill water is also quite high in TA. A good portion of the acid is working that down too.

Any chance of a complete set of test results from your own kit? How do you plan to chlorinate your pool water? If you could add more detail into your signature it would keep us from asking those questions in the future.

Sorry y'all I will update my signature. I got a brand new TF100 kit, and used the complete kit yesterday for the first time. Exp date on the acid reagent is 9/19, so it should be good for a while.
Results from yesterday complete test are here (assuming I did them correctly):
FC-3
CC - 1
TC - 4
PH -8.2 (has come down today to 7.6)
CH - 400
TA - 60
CYA-30-40
I am using bleach as my chlorine source, it seems to be about 96 oz per day so far.
Thanks for the heads up on the acid usages on the new pool, I thought for sure I was overdosing, or doing something wrong.

Water looks great. It has been very clear since I started using bleach. I don't know if it makes a difference, but my kids have only been in the pool less than an hour in 3 weeks, it is still way too cold most days, and I'm not running the heater yet.

It should slow down. Your fill water, when you begin to have evaporation, will most likely push the pH up too.

Keep an eye on your TA. When you add acid you lower it. If it gets to 50 you may have to add some baking soda. Let us know before you add any.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.