PH very high in Salt Water Pool after Winter

Jun 14, 2011
New Jersey
Guys,
I am opening my pool today and I noticed the Ph was very high, I took the first test and the color was dark so i started with guess its at 8.4 and added 43 oz, I believe to bring down my 29k pool to around 7.4. After the next reading it was still cearly above 8.2 so I added 37oz. After 3rd reading still above 8.2 (the color does seem to get lighter) so I Added another 32oz. Could the PH have gone that far up this winter? I do not ever recall adding this much Muriatic Acid (perhaps last year it was a bit more then usual). Is the new muriatic acid this weak? I did notice HD changed to HDX acid last year. Any of you salt water pool guys have such high readings after the winter? I do seem to think I did not drain that much water this winter so it is possible I have more salt in there then usual but I am not certain.

Could the PH have gone that far up this winter?
Absolutely. Just keep at it. If you are using the 31.5% MA then you are fine. Just go in increments like you have been doing. Be mindful of your TA as well though as the acid will bring it down as well.

Your pH reagent isn't real old is it?

I also have a gunite pool in NJ. After adding Boric Acid to my pool last summer, pH has been incredibly stable. I opened the pool to 7.8, after testing my pool at 7.2 and putting about 3/4 gallon of MA last Fall when I closed.

I also have a gunite pool in NJ. After adding Boric Acid to my pool last summer, pH has been incredibly stable. I opened the pool to 7.8, after testing my pool at 7.2 and putting about 3/4 gallon of MA last Fall when I closed.
thanks I may try that, I did add Boric Acid one year but didnt really notice any difference. It's possible I just did not pay attention.

Bromine and Borates are two completely different things. You NEVER want to get Bromine (Bromides) in your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.