pH TA Battle

Pierrot

Jan 18, 2024
San diego
As I add more muriatic acid, I'm regularly adding baking soda to keep the alkalinity level. I understand I may need to stop raising the alkalinity and let it drop to 60.

This being said, when you folks mention the alkalinity level, are you talking about the raw measurement or the CYA-corrected one?
With my test kit, I measure 125ppm of Alkalinity. But given that my CYA is 70 (I know, too high, but that's another story), I understand my corrected alkalinity is 125 - 70/3 = 102. Which one should I let drop until 60, the measured one or the corrected one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.

TFP uses uncorrected TA. From TA - Further Reading

Pool store TA tests often report lower then what you get when testing with the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 TA tests. They subtract about .35 x CYA from the measured TA to get your adjusted TA.

When using TFPC and Pool Math you do not need to calculate adjusted alkalinity. Input the Total Alkalinity from the TF-100 or K-2006C test into Pool Math and it will make the necessary adjustments.

Stop adding baking soda. TA of 60 and even 50 is ok. Let your TA find its equilibrium with your pH.

Reactions: pjt
P,

We do not use the "CYA adjusted" TA.

I run my TA between 50 and 60 and it works fine for me.

I have three saltwater pool that I've had for at least 10 years.. I have NEVER added baking Soda, or anything else, to increase my TA. Just adding water does that for me. I use about 30 oz. of MA, once a week for each pool, to keep my pH in check.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: pjt