PH Spikes every few day

auto

Feb 20, 2016
Dallas
Everything else seems to be balanced, but PH seems to rise and FC drop after a few days of balance- Is this normal or am d I being overly cautious?

Today, after a few days of perfection, FC 3, PH 7.6 I have the following.

FC-2
TA-90
CYA-35
PH-8.0
CH-290

Do you have any sources of aeration? An SWG? New plaster?

Pool water will naturally rise unless one uses acidic sources of chlorine (dichlor or trichlor). Bleach and SWG's are slightly net-caustic and so the pH rise from high TA will be very noticeable and require frequent acid additions.

You can lower your TA down to 60ppm and that should stretch out acid additions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auto,

I noticed that you said you had a few days of "perfection" with your FC at 3.

With a CYA of 35/40 then your FC level is at the extreme low end. It should really be above 5 ppm.

I'm sure you are aware of this, but your pool uses 2-4 ppm of FC per day. If you are not adding chlorine then it would be normal for the FC level to continually drop lower and lower.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Auto,

I noticed that you said you had a few days of "perfection" with your FC at 3.

With a CYA of 35/40 then your FC level is at the extreme low end. It should really be above 5 ppm.

I'm sure you are aware of this, but your pool uses 2-4 ppm of FC per day. If you are not adding chlorine then it would be normal for the FC level to continually drop lower and lower.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

So that the process of adding cholrine daily, even during the winter is to be expected? Is there any downside to lowering the TA down to 60? I do have a water feature which aerates 24/7.

Hi auto
The rise in ph will be related to how much you aerate the water. So with that water feature is running 24hrs it will push the ph up quite quickly
Also a new plastered pool will push the ph up as the plaster cures, this process can carry on for months

As far as I am aware there are no issues with a low TA. But just watch your CSI and keep it within range and you'll be fine

auto,

Since we don't close our pools in this area, then yes, you still have to test and maintain your FC level in the winter. The pool will use a lot less chlorine, but it will still use some.

So, tell us what kind of water features you have, and why are you running them 24/7? You can do whatever you want, of course, as long as you understand the consequences..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi auto
The rise in ph will be related to how much you aerate the water. So with that water feature is running 24hrs it will push the ph up quite quickly
Also a new plastered pool will push the ph up as the plaster cures, this process can carry on for months

As far as I am aware there are no issues with a low TA. But just watch your CSI and keep it within range and you'll be fine

Thanks-I realized aeration would raise PH, just not as much as it has

auto,

Since we don't close our pools in this area, then yes, you still have to test and maintain your FC level in the winter. The pool will use a lot less chlorine, but it will still use some.

So, tell us what kind of water features you have, and why are you running them 24/7? You can do whatever you want, of course, as long as you understand the consequences..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Test every few days, just shocked at the chlorine amount in the winter, basically a gallon a week. No reason on the water feature, just runs with the variable speed on low, I can certainly adjust the level of flow or turn it off.

IMG_20170106_092134.jpg

Auto,

Neat looking water feature, I like it. My pool builder called that type of waterfall a "Rock Port". Not sure if that was just his name for it, or what everyone calls them.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

You got excellent answers above.

I will address the water feature....it very pretty! Is the opening in the back a fire pit? I bet that looks great at night! I would love to see a picture of it!

You do need to run your water feature at least 10 mins or so a day to keep the water "fresh". Other than that you do not need to run it 24/7............BUT if you like the look and sound of it running then do so (I would run it anything I was outside as I love the sound).

Do you keep a log of your test results? I have a small notebook I keep with my test kit. That helped me the most in knowing what is going on with my pool. I have noticed patterns that helped me keep on top of problems before they got bigger. I even make notes of big weather events like heavy rain, VERY windy, etc and have learned how those effect my pool.

What do you test with? Can you please add that info to your siggy.

Kim:kim:

Auto,

Neat looking water feature, I like it. My pool builder called that type of waterfall a "Rock Port". Not sure if that was just his name for it, or what everyone calls them.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks-

You got excellent answers above.

I will address the water feature....it very pretty! Is the opening in the back a fire pit? I bet that looks great at night! I would love to see a picture of it!

You do need to run your water feature at least 10 mins or so a day to keep the water "fresh". Other than that you do not need to run it 24/7............BUT if you like the look and sound of it running then do so (I would run it anything I was outside as I love the sound).

Do you keep a log of your test results? I have a small notebook I keep with my test kit. That helped me the most in knowing what is going on with my pool. I have noticed patterns that helped me keep on top of problems before they got bigger. I even make notes of big weather events like heavy rain, VERY windy, etc and have learned how those effect my pool.

What do you test with? Can you please add that info to your siggy.

Kim:kim:

It is a fire pit- I do not have pics of it lit, will try and obtain some later- Here are some pics of the deck jets. Utilizing the Taylor k-2006. I will check to see if the Pool Pal app allows a log export.

pool-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.