Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello All,

Looking for some info to see if I'm doing things right and second to see if this is normal. My pool was built and finished April 2021. It is approx. 25k gallon. I always used 31% Muriatic Acid, but recently changed to Powdered Acid to see if it changed anything and still the same results. The problem I'm having is my Alkalinity is stable between 70-80 , and when I add acid to lower my PH, it holds it down for at most 2 maybe 3 days. My old pool use to stay stable for a week or more at a time. Both of my pools were Salt Water so there goes the theory of Salt raising PH.

So should I take this as normal and if so is it ok only check once a week? Or should I really stay on top of it and add acid every 2 or 3 days?

Thanks!

New plaster pools tend to rise PH levels, it will settle after a year or so. You can also try lowering ALK to no less than 50, that will require less acid. Im guessing Powder acid is DRY Acid which contains sulphates which is detrimental to your SWG lifespan. So try to not use anymore of that. Muriatic acid is fine.

New plaster pools tend to rise PH levels, it will settle after a year or so. You can also try lowering ALK to no less than 50, that will require less acid. Im guessing Powder acid is DRY Acid which contains sulphates which is detrimental to your SWG lifespan. So try to not use anymore of that. Muriatic acid is fine.
Oh no I didn't know that it was bad for SWG? Any idea how or why?

Thanks for that info!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello All,

Looking for some info to see if I'm doing things right and second to see if this is normal. My pool was built and finished April 2021. It is approx. 25k gallon. I always used 31% Muriatic Acid, but recently changed to Powdered Acid to see if it changed anything and still the same results. The problem I'm having is my Alkalinity is stable between 70-80 , and when I add acid to lower my PH, it holds it down for at most 2 maybe 3 days. My old pool use to stay stable for a week or more at a time. Both of my pools were Salt Water so there goes the theory of Salt raising PH.

So should I take this as normal and if so is it ok only check once a week? Or should I really stay on top of it and add acid every 2 or 3 days?

Thanks!
My pool was done and filled last March. Just now getting some stability with ph and one gal of Home Depot MA works for about 8 days. In the beginning, it was 2 of those a week.

my pool was completed April 2019 and I am still fighting PH levels. Hopefully this summer I'll see it different. I have a water feature with my spa spillover but i have the valves shifted so that no longer happens. I still regularly see 8.0 on my PH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.