pH rise... argg! plus CH question

Nov 14, 2015
Chicagoland, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is my 3rd summer with TFP. My challenge this year, is that my pH seems to be creeping up. Over the course of less than a week, I'll go from 7.2 to 8.2+. I've been adding MA pretty much weekly.

My last test results:
FC 4.0
CC 0
PH 8.2
TA 70
CH 350
CYA 40

I didn't have problem with this so much last year. I added MA maybe 5 times throughout the season. I do have a spillover spa, that we run about an hour a day, to circulate it into the main pool (I test/treat as one body). I ran it the same last year, without the constant creep issue. We don't regularly fill the pool - we let nature do that, and if we have to add water, it's just a couple times in the season (so far) from straight well water.

Suggestions?

My CH is on the high side because I'm trying to see if I can reduce the corrosion going on with my float hookoffs, and flaking surface on the steps. I've kept the CH on the low side in the past, but I'm hoping that raising it will decrease corrosion and flaking. think it will work?

pg,

I doubt running your spillover for an hour a day makes much difference...

You can try lowering your TA to 60 or so, just don't go lower than 50...

I would also not try to take the pH down to 7.2... I'd only take it down to 7.6 or so.. And I would check it more than once a week and not let it get above 8.0...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I do check more often than once a week, but it's definitely not daily. probably every other. But, until I get a handle on this, I'm going to start checking daily.

pg,

I doubt running your spillover for an hour a day makes much difference...

You can try lowering your TA to 60 or so, just don't go lower than 50...

I would also not try to take the pH down to 7.2... I'd only take it down to 7.6 or so.. And I would check it more than once a week and not let it get above 8.0...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.