PH reader

I've heard of a few meters out there, but they're expensive, require calibration, and simply not worth the effort. I do understand the color difficulty though. It was a problem for me as well. Especially the higher it went. If you ever had the pH go low (orange) there's no doubt what it is. Then as it creeps back up to the 7.5 and above, it gets tricky. For me, what helps is the background. Many people like a white sheet of paper, but I don't. My house siding is off-white, more of a beige, and that provides a better contrast for eyes to focus on. My eyes are getting older too, so I take my glasses off and that helps too. :crazy:

Holding it up to a clear blue sky works really well ... or often I use my skylight.

You can also get the base and acid demand reagents to add drop-wise and see the color shifts, often that can help you get a better estimate and feel for the different colors.

I bought one and used it twice. I agree not really worth the effort. However if you are set on having one I will sell you mine for half of what I paid plus shipping :)

Thanks everyone for the responses. I do hold it up to the sky and still have a hard time deciding. Sounds like automatic meters are not good huh..

I have an electronic tester, one from the TF website and another that tells me water temp and pH. I love mine. Does it require calibration? Yes, which I do monthly but the convenience of knowing the pH in seconds is nice as I like to test probably every 1-2 days. The time I save not doing drops, is spent in calibrating which only takes about 2 minutes once a month and usually I don’t need to adjust much, if at all. I find it handy but then it’s all in how much you test and convenience to you, ymmv.

17.7k gal, 98 ft perimeter, IG quartz, 3HP EcoStar VSP, 1.5HP TriStar Dual Speed, 725 sq ft SwimClear Cartridge, Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount clear O3, Pro Logic controller, 500k BTU heater, AquaVac 500, Spillover Spa, 3 sheer waterfalls, 3 bubblers.

As stated above the primary meter is the one found on the tftestkits website. It’s cheap and for the purpose fairly accurate. I also bought another cheap one from amazon that does water temp as well which I used during the colder months to keep track of pool water using the app. I don’t know which brand it is, but the one stated above works just as well if not better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.