Pawleys Island, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I collect a sample and conduct testing in the garage at a bench I set up for it.
I really like my meter, much better than the drop/color test. I've never found my PH60 meter to be out of cal. I'll calibrate every 4 - 6 weeks or so anyway but when I just stick it in the 7.0 cal solution to check it it's pretty much always dead on. When checking pool samples it'll drift up for a few minutes before the reading stabilizes but being that it displays two decimal accuracy, that drift is over a .1 or .2 range. No big deal, it's close enough if I don't wait. It usually takes me 5 minutes at the bench anyway.

Reactions: Ted2019

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I was taught here to sample mid-pool, away from skimmer and returns, and about 18" below the surface. I've never done the experiment myself with drops, but it'd be interesting to know if one of you with a ".01" meter could detect measurable differences between different areas of the pool: surface, 18" below, bottom, deep end, shallow end, sun-lit, shadow, in the skimmer, etc. Or if mis-handling the sample makes a difference: between gently carrying it back to a test bench vs shaking it up a little, Or if testing at home is measurably different than driving to Leslies, maybe a 1/2 hour later, with a little jostling in the front seat. Which would contribute to the justification for our "test with your own kit" mantra...

DanF

Silver Supporter
Mar 17, 2019
Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I use the PH60 meter also. I test by sticking the meter directly in the pool; seems a bit easier than taking a sample.

CrystalRiver

Jun 19, 2020
Massachusetts
I was taught here to sample mid-pool, away from skimmer and returns, and about 18" below the surface. I've never done the experiment myself with drops, but it'd be interesting to know if one of you with a ".01" meter could detect measurable differences between different areas of the pool: surface, 18" below, bottom, deep end, shallow end, sun-lit, shadow, in the skimmer, etc. Or if mis-handling the sample makes a difference: between gently carrying it back to a test bench vs shaking it up a little, Or if testing at home is measurably different than driving to Leslies, maybe a 1/2 hour later, with a little jostling in the front seat. Which would contribute to the justification for our "test with your own kit" mantra...
Just for giggles, after taking a proper reading with my Taylor kit, I shook the tube for a few seconds. Increased the reading by a solid 0.2. Then I shook it for a minute or two - no further change. I suspect that if TA is quite high, you're going to get a bigger change from shaking.

Reactions: Dirk

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just for giggles, after taking a proper reading with my Taylor kit, I shook the tube for a few seconds. Increased the reading by a solid 0.2. Then I shook it for a minute or two - no further change. I suspect that if TA is quite high, you're going to get a bigger change from shaking.
Great. Please get started on all the other experiments I required for my analysis! 🤪

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.