Ph meter vs Taylor color indicator

I collect a sample and conduct testing in the garage at a bench I set up for it.
I really like my meter, much better than the drop/color test. I've never found my PH60 meter to be out of cal. I'll calibrate every 4 - 6 weeks or so anyway but when I just stick it in the 7.0 cal solution to check it it's pretty much always dead on. When checking pool samples it'll drift up for a few minutes before the reading stabilizes but being that it displays two decimal accuracy, that drift is over a .1 or .2 range. No big deal, it's close enough if I don't wait. It usually takes me 5 minutes at the bench anyway.

Reactions: Ted2019
I was taught here to sample mid-pool, away from skimmer and returns, and about 18" below the surface. I've never done the experiment myself with drops, but it'd be interesting to know if one of you with a ".01" meter could detect measurable differences between different areas of the pool: surface, 18" below, bottom, deep end, shallow end, sun-lit, shadow, in the skimmer, etc. Or if mis-handling the sample makes a difference: between gently carrying it back to a test bench vs shaking it up a little, Or if testing at home is measurably different than driving to Leslies, maybe a 1/2 hour later, with a little jostling in the front seat. Which would contribute to the justification for our "test with your own kit" mantra...

I use the PH60 meter also. I test by sticking the meter directly in the pool; seems a bit easier than taking a sample.

I was taught here to sample mid-pool, away from skimmer and returns, and about 18" below the surface. I've never done the experiment myself with drops, but it'd be interesting to know if one of you with a ".01" meter could detect measurable differences between different areas of the pool: surface, 18" below, bottom, deep end, shallow end, sun-lit, shadow, in the skimmer, etc. Or if mis-handling the sample makes a difference: between gently carrying it back to a test bench vs shaking it up a little, Or if testing at home is measurably different than driving to Leslies, maybe a 1/2 hour later, with a little jostling in the front seat. Which would contribute to the justification for our "test with your own kit" mantra...
Just for giggles, after taking a proper reading with my Taylor kit, I shook the tube for a few seconds. Increased the reading by a solid 0.2. Then I shook it for a minute or two - no further change. I suspect that if TA is quite high, you're going to get a bigger change from shaking.

Reactions: Dirk
Just for giggles, after taking a proper reading with my Taylor kit, I shook the tube for a few seconds. Increased the reading by a solid 0.2. Then I shook it for a minute or two - no further change. I suspect that if TA is quite high, you're going to get a bigger change from shaking.
Great. Please get started on all the other experiments I required for my analysis! 🤪

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.