pH measurement accuracy

platon20

Bronze Supporter
Oct 13, 2016
DFW/Texas
I've used a regular pH meter and then bought a fancy/better one -- the Apera

I used the controls and I keep the Apera in the recommended storage solution.

When I initially place the probe in the water, the pH comes out at around 7.35

However, if I let it stay in there, it keeps rising, starting from 7.35 and going all the way up to 7.8 over a period of about 5-7 minutes

This probe is brand new and only been used like 5 or 6 times and I already did the recommended prep/control procedures.

What's going on with the pH fluctuating constantly?

I have the same one, and it does the same thing. You just need to wait until the reading is stable. Not sure why it does it. I’v verified it with the drop test and they are always the same.

When you stick a pH meter into the sample water it can have small air bubbles around the probe. Gently shaking the meter in the sample helps get the air bubbles off and the reading to stabilize. You have to leave the pH meter in the sample until the reading stablizes for a valid measurement.

My PH60 seems to stabilize within 1 - 2 minutes. I have had an issue with bubbles on the probe end so do pay attention to that.

OK so I tried an experiment, I put the Apera pH probe in the pool water and let it sit there for awhile.

Here are my readings.

30 seconds: 7.3
45 seconds: 7.4
60 seconds: 7.5
3 mins: 7.65
5 mins: 7.7
10 mins: 7.8

Which reading is accurate?

I have an Apera20 and have the same issue. If you notice the water temperature is also changing at the same time, so I would use the 5 minute sample or let the sample temperature come up to room temp and use that reading. I have found that for me using the ph meter is more accurate than the color matching. My Apera20 readings match the readings I get from my WaterGuru device. Back in the day, our QA lab would always measure samples at room temperature. But that was before temperature compensating ph probes.

Apera has a support site. I've used it and they ansered my question promptly. Suggest you contact them. I think there's a possibility that your device might be defective.

Apera has a support site. I've used it and they ansered my question promptly. Suggest you contact them. I think there's a possibility that your device might be defective.
What was the answer? I clicked on the link and it looks unanswered

They opened a 'ticket' for me and then, after answering my question, closed it. Apparently the ticket is purged afterward, unfortunately.
The answer to the question was yes, calibration with the 4.0 or 10.0 solution is unnecessary for measurement in the 7s/8s. Calibration with the 7.0 solution is good for 7.0+/-2.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They opened a 'ticket' for me and then, after answering my question, closed it. Apparently the ticket is purged afterward, unfortunately.
The answer to the question was yes, calibration with the 4.0 or 10.0 solution is unnecessary for measurement in the 7s/8s. Calibration with the 7.0 solution is good for 7.0+/-2.0.
Thanks!

Thanks from me also. Just purchased a PH60 recently and had the same question. Of course I didn't read the manual where it said the calibration fluid could be re-used, so I was dumping mine post calibration. Now I'm out :mad:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.