pH keeps dropping - reason?

Nov 15, 2019
Johannesburg RSA
Hi, I had a question that I can't seem to answer by just googling. My pool's pH keeps going low, requiring me to add alkaline (HTH Alkalinity Up). I notice this when the pool starts looking green despite adequate chlorine; when I then check the water with a test strip I'd see the pH reading below 7.2 and the alkalinity ppm low. Since it's a rather large pool I've taken to just adding 2kg of Alkalinity Up at a time; this would raise the pH and ppm to just above recommended (according to the test strips). However this summer (southern hemisphere) I've had to do this three or four times already, which is unusual, and now it has happened again. From doing some reading I see also that pH would be expected to go up over time, so I'm having a hard time explaining this. There isn't excessive amounts of leaves and debris getting in the pool, and while there has been higher than average rainfall, I can't imagine that it is enough to affect the alkalinity this much. I have been struggling with algae growth, but I can't tell whether this is a result of the alkalinity problem or the cause. It must surely not be normal to be adding 2kg of alkalinity on a monthly basis. Anyone got some insight and/or recommendations about this?

I almost always use granular chlorine. As it happens, I do have a floater in now, but I usually don't. I added it because I went away for a few days and I don't have any stabilizer in the pool.

About the test kits, the one I'm using is the most comprehensive, but I could check for better pH specific ones?

Granular chlorine is Trichlor?

That contains acid and overuse of it for chlorine will lead to low pH and TA.

How many gallons are in your pool?

Please understand that ta has nothing to do with algae. That’s a problem of not enough fc in relation to cya
FC/CYA Levels
To rid yourself of the algae you need to do the
SLAM Process with liquid chlorine but you must have a reliable test kit to accomplish this & before starting.

Knowing your fill water ta, ph, & ch will also be helpful in figuring out the TA issue you think you have.
*Even the use of just a few trichlor pucks can drop ph & subsequently ta. Dichlor granuals cause this issue as well.
Use
PoolMath effects of adding menu to see each puck’s effect on all your parameters.
Pool Care Basics

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.