PH increases after adding LC

Romoth

Silver Supporter
Sep 18, 2020
Houston, TX
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I could use a little help understanding what's happening here. It seems like when I add more than about 1.5ppm of LC, I end up with a large spike in PH. Yesterday I was at about a 7.6/7.7. I had been steadily rising from the 7.5 I had it at. I added 4 parts of LC because I was at 3 (very lowest end of what I need FC/CYA). This morning when I tested, I was an 8.2 of PH. Does that make sense? I'm planning to bring it up to about 10ppm FC before I leave for a trip, so I want to make sure I'm planning around adding and then lowering PH if that's what i need to do.

Thanks!

1. 3 FC is a cliff, you never want to be that close to a cliff, bad things happen when you go near or off cliffs... you want to be above 4 to 5 FC at all times...

2. PH will raise some with liquid chlorine addition but PH mostly responds with where your TA is.. What is your TA?

I would take your PH to 7 and your FC to SLAM level for your CYA before you leave :)

@cowboycasey Thanks for the notes. We've had a TON of rain, so managing the FC has been a little outside the usual for me the last couple of weeks. We try to keep it around 7 in general.

TA is 80, but I see a sharp upward spike in PH the next day every single time I add more than about 2ppm of chlorine. Well outside the normal increases that I see from my pool. I've even reduced the aeration, so 7.7 to 8.2 in less than 24 hours with ONLY the additions of 4ppm of chlorine really surprised me. I've seen that before as well when I add this much (which hasn't been often!).

So for vacation, our house sitter would like to be able to swim. I'm going to bring it up to 10 (current CYA is 40 though I need to test it again due to all the rain) and then put in 2 pucks on a medium/high setting in the inline chlorinator. I'm comfortable with the CYA additions since Texas is about to get HOT. The housesitter is going to add a part and a half or so every other day while we're gone. It's only four days, so I'm hopeful that will be enough! This is my test run for a week long vacation in June.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.