PH hangs around 8.0

Aug 25, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Without doing anything my PH tends to hover around 8.0. Ideally, I realize I should bring it down to 7.4-7.8. However my CSI is well within recommended range. Question is should I just leave it all alone and accept the slightly yet naturally high PH or work to bring it down. Latest results.

No SWG, 12000 Gal pebble tech, Taylor FAS-DPD test kit

FC 4
CC .5
PH. 8.0
TA 90
CH 250
CYA 85
Temp 82.4

Thx guys!

Leave it alone. When PH hits 8 bring it down to 7.8. Keep PH in the range of 7.6-8 and no lower. Thats what your pool likes.

Jeremy,

If you bring your TA down to 60, with a pH of 8.0 you would have a CSI of 0.0...

As it is, your CSI is +.3.. The more + it is the more likely you will get scale.

You do realize that your FC is way too low with a CYA of 85 if you don't have a SWG.. I notice that you say no SWCG in your post, but you have a T9 cell listed in your signature.. :confused:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yea need to change signature. I took it out. Salt rusted my fence and my PH was off the charts not to mention all the tiny debris the SWG collected. Got tired of cleaning it.

As far as the CYA/chlorine ratio, I know about it. Just don’t wanna drain pool again. I have a Hasa liquid chlorinator and I run my pump during the heat of the day. Early morning tests shows FC of 4. I’ve had no algae in Phoenix when temps reach 110 plus. It works so I don’t wanna bother with it.

Just concerned for the PH and TA, but that ratio keeps my CSI within limits so I’m wondering if I really need to do anything. Maybe lower TA as suggested.

Jeremy,

If you are using a machine to dose liquid chlorine over time, then that is basically like a SWCG, chart wise... So it makes sense that you can run your FC on the low side.

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

I'd increase the TA to about 100, CH to about 300 and get the pH down to 7.4. I think you're asking for staining/scaling at present.

His PH is unlikely to stay at 7.4 with a TA of 100.

I'd increase the TA to about 100, CH to about 300 and get the pH down to 7.4. I think you're asking for staining/scaling at present.

That doesn't work. It creates too much carbon dioxide, which offgasses and raises the pH. So, you add acid to lower the pH but the acid also lowers the TA. So, you add bicarb to raise the TA. But, that brings you right back to where you started and the cycle continues of adding acid followed by bicarb and then more acid then more bicarb in an endless loop that never ends and all you're doing is wasting time and money and all you're really left with is salt in the pool.

Just lower the pH to 7.8 every time and the TA will come down and eventually stabilize.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Raising TA? Please explain. I’m actually thinking of lowering it a bit.

12000 Gal Pebble tech, Hasa liquid chlorinator.

Jeremy,

What James says below is what works.

That doesn't work. It creates too much carbon dioxide, which offgasses and raises the pH. So, you add acid to lower the pH but the acid also lowers the TA. So, you add bicarb to raise the TA. But, that brings you right back to where you started and the cycle continues of adding acid followed by bicarb and then more acid then more bicarb in an endless loop that never ends and all you're doing is wasting time and money and all you're really left with is salt in the pool.

Just lower the pH to 7.8 every time and the TA will come down and eventually stabilize.

Yes, acid wil reduce the alkalinity hence the need to add bicarbonate. You can get a 0 CSI in many ways - high pH and low TA/CH or neutral pH with higher TA and CH. My (limited) experience is to steer well clear of pH in the 7.8-8.0 region. YMMV.

Yes, acid wil reduce the alkalinity hence the need to add bicarbonate. You can get a 0 CSI in many ways - high pH and low TA/CH or neutral pH with higher TA and CH. My (limited) experience is to steer well clear of pH in the 7.8-8.0 region. YMMV.

The problem is that a higher TA raises the pH. So, it's not a good solution because it's not stable. You end up adding a bunch of unnecessary chemicals and wasting time and money

With a lower TA and higher ph, it is stable and you really don't have to do anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.