PH goes up daily

May 17, 2014
TUCSON, AZ
Pool Size
I have tried to find an answer in the forum but nothing seems to match my situation.
I have a swg. All my tests are good except PH always goes up. I manage it with acid, but I was wondering what makes PH rise. I hjust went through shocking my pool and we are letting the FC come down. As the FC comes down, my PH goes up...why?

What is your TA?

pH will rise in pools from splashing, rain, fountains/waterfalls, SWG, and high TA to name a few things. As long as it isn't going over 7.8 constantly it is of little concern. If your TA is high you can lower to slow the rise of pH, each pool is a little different so there is no magical number to try to get to. I'm a little over 100 and my pH if very stable at 7.5.

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

As mentioned above a lot of things will cause it. How often to you need to correct it and from what pH to what goal pH are you correcting ??

Use pool math to target a pH of 7.2, hopefully after a couple days the pH will stop rising so quickly. You might end up with a TA of 50 before it settles down.

And tell the dogs to stop splashing so much, they are not helping.

Edit:
When FC is over 10 your pH test isn't valid so wait until you are back in the single digits before you start targeting 7.2.

Does your return waterfall into the pool or spray ?? I know on my inground if I aim the returns up so they're agitating the surface my pH will rise a lot more in a few days than when I have them down.

Love the photo. My girl is to old to do the stairs getting in or out :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How are you dosing your pool? Liquid, as you mentioned shock. Allow your levels to drift down to around 5 and test again. If you are using liquid, your PH will increase and as the chlorine burns off, the PH will drop. To get an accurate reading, test after water has been mixed at least 30 minutes in the morning and then test for PH. Do not add anything until after the test.

Outside of this, your TA of 80 may still be high. You will have to lower TA through acid additions. The dog would have to be a great aeration tool to keep your PH drifting this quickly.

I have a salt water generator, it runs in the morning....I usually test in the afternoon, then add acid or chlorine the next morning when everything comes on....then retest again in the afternoon. I never test after adding chemicals.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the smaller your volume of water, the less wiggle room you have on your numbers. You might consider adding borates to your water. I don't know if that might help. See the adding borates section under pool school and see what you think after reading that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.