PH drift - what are the options / what is normal

JonoVegas

Oct 6, 2018
Las Vegas NV
Checking in with the experts on the PH drift up challenge. Is my situation normal? Any other things to do to better control PH drifting up, other than periodic adding of MA?

Background: I’m sort of obsessive when it comes to chemicals testing per TFP
My chems:
  • Location: Vegas so my auto fill is what it is regarding new water / we don’t get much rain :)
  • Water temp these days: 46
  • Salt: 3800 (given water temps my SWG is off for now)
  • TA: 90 (tends to drift between 90 and 100)
  • CYA: 50 tough test to read but in the 40 to 50 range (thinking of maybe using pucks for couple of weeks to bump CYA up slightly)
  • CH: 375
  • PH: 8.0 (about due for another hit of MA)
  • FC: 2.5 (during the cold water off season I shoot for 2 to 3, during the swim season more like 5) use liquid in cold water times
  • CSI: .05 (today at my upper threshold give the PH has crept to my upper range)
So I am adding MA every 2 to 3 weeks to manage the PH. Reviewing numbers, my PH seems to rise about .047 per day.

So my questions

• Is that level of PH increasing seem to be about “normal”?
  • Anything else I can do to slow the PH rising besides the current process of adding MA every 2 to 3 weeks?

As you are still adding some fill water, even in winter, your pH will rise. Also wind disturbance on the pool water surface creates aeration.
During summer, the large amounts of high TA fill water will continuously push your pH up. During summer, I add acid when my pH reaches 7.8 or above. I target 7.2 when adding acid. This drives down the TA. With that process, I keep my TA around 80.

Reactions: Jennybird
I add a little MA at least once a week, sometimes twice, so you're doing pretty good with 2-3 week intervals! When mine hits 8.0, I add enough MA to take it down to around 7.6. I don't measure it out - I just count to 10 using a slow pour. I've learned over time how much to pour.

Most salt water pools will have increasing pH. Where I live, the pool is basicily open all year around. I have a Stenner pump setup to add a small amount of acid each day. Something you have to live with.

Are you letting that water fall & spa spill over run all day? That can be a huge contributor to rising pH. If you can turn that off to just a few minutes a day to keep line refreshed with chlorine, you might help solve some of your pH problems.

Maddie :flower:

My TA is at 80ppm today.....my PH increases at a rate of ~0.2/day. Pool is 3-4 months old. When PH gets to 8.0 I add acid to get it to 7.6. I know people say you can let it ride at 8.0, but once you get at 8.0 you can't read what it is because it is off the scale so I don't like to let it ride at 8.0.

At .2 increase per day I have to add a cup of acid every other day....this seems excessive. Pump runs 6 hours a day. Overflow from elevated hot tub to pool is smooth..it runs over and down a wall into pool. 2 hours in morning is slightly higher flow for ambient sound but 4 hours in afternoon is very little flow - just enough to generator chlorine.

My TA is at 80ppm today.....my PH increases at a rate of ~0.2/day. Pool is 3-4 months old. When PH gets to 8.0 I add acid to get it to 7.6. I know people say you can let it ride at 8.0, but once you get at 8.0 you can't read what it is because it is off the scale so I don't like to let it ride at 8.0.

At .2 increase per day I have to add a cup of acid every other day....this seems excessive. Pump runs 6 hours a day. Overflow from elevated hot tub to pool is smooth..it runs over and down a wall into pool. 2 hours in morning is slightly higher flow for ambient sound but 4 hours in afternoon is very little flow - just enough to generator chlorine.
Anyone?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.