PH does not want to go down below 7.4 when adding Muriatic acid..

zrtman

Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2022
Wilmington NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Just somewhat puzzled or curious about this. I know 7.4 is a good number...

When I filled pool on 6/11 had TA 150 and PH 7.3. Followed the advice on here and did not add muriatic acid until PH was 8.

PH was 8 on 7/7. Using the app/pool math 16oz of 34% Muriatic acid would bring me from 8 to 7.0. So I did half first (8oz) then tested it after an hour - PH was 7.6 - pretty much spot on. So I added the other 8 oz and waited an hour. It went from 7.6 to maybe 7.5.

So I wanted a day - checked again, PH was still 7.5. Added 12 oz of Muriatic this time - checked gain - it is maybe 7.4 - more like still 7.5.

I have not filled pool. The water temp is high @94 by late afternoon. CH 250, Salt 3000, CYA 60, FC 4-5, CC 0.0. TA has dropped from 160 to 125.

Was planning on just leaving it alone for now and letting it drift back up to 8 before adding more acid. Just curious as to why it moved down from 8 quickly but being stubborn to go below 7.5ish on PH. Was trying to drop to 7 to help lower my TA to 80/90 (high side of recommended level).

Any thoughts as to why it is stubborn let me know thank you.

Last edited:
Your pH is stubborn due to your high TA.

Adding more acid will force the pH lower.

I would not worry much about your TA. Lower your pH around 7.4 and your TA will come down over time.

Reactions: zrtman
Your pH is stubborn due to your high TA.

Adding more acid will force the pH lower.

I would not worry much about your TA. Lower your pH around 7.4 and your TA will come down over time.
Ok great thanks! That is what I figured.. just wanted to double check I did not have anything wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.