PH creeping up

Sep 20, 2016
Olive Branch, MS
This is my first season with a fiberglass pool (or any pool for that matter), I do not have a SWG but use liquid bleach. My PH tends to stay on the high side, even after I lower it, it creeps up again. My numbers were FC 5, TC 5, PH 7.7, TA 100, CH 250, CYA 40ish. I lower my PH to 7.4-7.5, thus lowering my TA, it creeps back up to 7.7ish. Lower it again, creeps back up after about 2 days.

I was was hoping to find a TA that the PH liked and stayed steady. It does not seem to be on the lower end of the scale as my TA now is probably in the 60-70 range. I thought maybe a TA on the upper end, 110ish, would help but then read that high TA tends to increase PH.

Do I just need to accept a PH on the upper end and not worry about getting it to the middle? Is this just what my pool likes?

Welcome aboard!

Rising pH is common, and something we just have to live with some of us. You might try keeping the TA no more than 60, and see if the pH will settle around 7.6-7.8. If it won't and continues to rise, you just may have to be one like me where acid is a way of pool life. Not recommended in most circumstances but some keep TA closer to 50 and have success, but even here, mine will creep up because my fill water is loaded with TA and high pH approaching 9.0. What are your fill water levels regarding these?

That's not unlikely, many pools get pretty happy around 7.8. With a quick glance at your numbers from memory, that should be just fine at your levels, but do use PoolMath to double check your CSI from time to time as the pool temperature goes up and then down. :)

Edit - Oh, and please head over to the Olive Branch Catfish Company and have some awesome food for me. I was in Memphis for a month for work a number of years ago and really miss eating there. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.