pH Creeping Up

Sep 27, 2016
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our pool has been open for just over two weeks now. It's was a fresh fill this year. I've been watching the pH slowly creep up from 7.2 to now 7.8. Only additions have been CYA about a week ago and regular ol' bleach. TA is at 80.

I realize the CL is very alkaline, and can push pH up. I'll be adding some MA today to bring it down a touch.

I'm hoping to find some stability rather than fighting my water and chasing an "ideal" target all summer long. Had to take this approach with our aquariums as stability and consistency is safer and more effective than "perfect" water parameters.

What are the concerns with keeping pH slightly higher (7.8) if that's where my water wants to be.

If your TA gets lower (as it should by keeping your pH down), your pool should find a new equilibrium at a lower pH, where your chlorine is more effective. Also, pH in the 7.2 and 7.4 range is closer to that of our eyes.

But... really... as long as you are in the CSI safe zone, as spinPHD says, I'm not sure it's worth battling the issue just for the sake of hitting better numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.