pH constantly increasing with SWG

jwharan

May 28, 2019
baltimore
I switched my pool to a SWG about 2 months ago, and I find my pH constantly hovering around 8.0. I have to add about half a gallon of Home Depot Muriatic Acid about every 2 weeks to get it down to around 7.6. I have gone through 2 gallons in about 2 months now. 21,000 gallon pool. Any ideas what is causing the constant increase in pH? All other numbers are in line with where they should be.

Welcome to TFP.

How were you chlorinating your pool before the SWG? Trichlor Tablets?

Trichlor tablets contain acid which was lowering your pH. Now you need to manually do what the trich was doing.

A gallon a month of MA is pretty normal. Some folks go through that in a week or two.

What type of pool do you have? Plaster? Vinyl?

A *lot* of folks using SWGs find that their pool pH likes to stay around 7.8. I'd try taking it there and seeing if it stays longer than when you aim for 7.6.

Without knowing what your TA is, its hard to say if there is a problem or not. A high TA will always strive to pull the pH upwards.

7.8 is within suggested parameters.

Maddie :flower:

Sorry for delayed response. Been away. TA is 60. PH is at 7.8. FC is 4.5, CH is 210. CYA is around 70-80 cant recall, but not high. Doesnt usually exceed 8.0. Typically if it is super pink. One drop of the Acid Demand drops it to 7.8, so its never too far off. I guess if adding 1 gallon a month is normal, that makes sense. I used trichlor tablets before, so makes sense it was more stable before I switched to SWG. This is a plaster Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.