pH and TA seesaw

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
Obviously meant PH in the subject but I don't see a way to edit the subject. (Done..)

So I keep going on this roller coaster ride with PH and TA. This time of year my water starts to get warm and begin running my waterfall nearly constantly for aeration. I also have a couple of those aerators on my return jets. This continually drives the PH up so I'm adding MA to lower PH, but then that lowers TA, so I'm adding baking soda to get TA up, which in turns raises PH even more. Any suggestions or is this just the way it is?

FC: 5
CC: 0
CYA: 30
TA: 70
PH 7.8
CH: 200 (been using cal hypo this year to slowly get my calcium up, i realize it's a little low for plaster)

BD,

I suggest that you reduce your TA to 60 or even 50 and see what happens... Just don't let it go lower than 50...

Why are you constantly running your waterfall???

When you add MA only add enough to drop the pH to about 7.5...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The seesaw effect comes from micromanaging.

Hold off on acid until pH gets to 7.8, and then maybe only target 7.5. The lower the pH, the faster the pH Rise from aeration. If you dropped pH to 7.2, you'd likely be at 7.5 in two hours with a waterfall on. Why not cut back on the acid and save a few bucks? Second piece of advice: don't raise TA until you get to 50. If that drives CSI too low, raise the CH.

BD,

I suggest that you reduce your TA to 60 or even 50 and see what happens... Just don't let it go lower than 50...

Why are you constantly running your waterfall???

Because my water temp is 92 and I'm trying to cool it down so people will actually get in the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

The seesaw effect comes from micromanaging.

Hold off on acid until pH gets to 7.8, and then maybe only target 7.5. The lower the pH, the faster the pH Rise from aeration. If you dropped pH to 7.2, you'd likely be at 7.5 in two hours with a waterfall on. Why not cut back on the acid and save a few bucks? Second piece of advice: don't raise TA until you get to 50. If that drives CSI too low, raise the CH.

Will do, thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.