pH and TA Balancing

Heliman500

Nov 19, 2020
Rescue, CA
Moved from here.

@JoyfulNoise greetings Sir, I have a similar situation with my pool chemistry, PH of 8.3 and TA 122. 16,000 gallon pool built 4 months ago. In this particular situation, as I understand it, you recommend bringing down the PH first, and then see where the TA ends up. I guess I’m missing something here as I thought the two factors go hand in hand and MA is used for both conditions. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
What test kit did your pH and TA measurements come from?

Lowering pH always lowers TA some. How much TA lowers depends the starting and ending point of how much you lower pH. TA will lower a little going from pH 8.2 to 7.6. pH will lower a lot more going from pH 8.2 to 7.2.

Joyfuls point is manage your pH first. pH is what affects your plaster and equipment. TA has no direct effect on your pool or equipment. TA only affects how rapidly your pH will rise .

Last edited:
Reactions: setsailsoon
I followed @JoyfulNoise recommendations when my pool was new and it worked great. Eventually lined out with TA~50. After a year or so acid addition became much more manageable. Then added borates and pH adjustments worked their way down to every 3 weeks or so.

Reactions: Mdragger88
@ajw22 thank you for lining me out there. I have a local pool store test the water. I’ve been thinking about buying my own kit. Any recommendations?

So if I understand it correctly the take away here is that the PH should be the primary target and the TA will follow suit

I also wanted to confirm using MA is the best solution for bringing down the PH?

@setsailsoon thank you for your feedback, it sounds like you’re in a good spot with your pool chemistry now…looking forward to that day

Thanks all and happy holidays

@ajw22 thank you for lining me out there. I have a local pool store test the water. I’ve been thinking about buying my own kit. Any recommendations?

Taylor K-2006C or Test Kits . TF-100 is a better value.

So if I understand it correctly the take away here is that the PH should be the primary target and the TA will follow suit

Correct.
I also wanted to confirm using MA is the best solution for bringing down the PH?

Yes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.