Seminole, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
So, as in most new plaster and SWCG pools, my pH keeps rising, and I add muriatic acid as needed. I am now travelling a lot, and husband is not as obsessive about testing the pool as I am, so sometimes when I get back the pH test is REALLY red - so, above 8. I know I can use the acid demand test, but that just says how much acid to add, not what the pH is. Can you convert the acid demand results to an accurate pH reading? I'm using the poolmath app so would like to record the test results as accurately as I can.

Please no bashing of hubby. He has many other fine qualities. :)

Cheers!

PM logs show TA at 80.

Learn what amount of MA lowers your pH by .2 to .3. Add that and retest in 30minutes and repeat until pH is in the 7s.

If you know the amount of acid required to lower the pH from x to say 7.5, you can use the pH section of PoolMath to try different pH values until it matches.

For example, if you know that it takes 64 ounces of acid to lower the pH to 7.5, you can put 8.3 in the first box to see if it gives you 64 ounces of acid.

Don't use the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" section because it does not take TA into effect.

You can get the ph meter.

Thanks all! I'll try clicking on the pH tab next time it goes high.
.....If you knew you were leaving town for a few days, and you knew that pH was going to rise while you were gone, would you lower to 7.2 before you left, or leave a little higher and lower when you return?

Thanks all! I'll try clicking on the pH tab next time it goes high.
.....If you knew you were leaving town for a few days, and you knew that pH was going to rise while you were gone, would you lower to 7.2 before you left, or leave a little higher and lower when you return?

Let the pH go high and fix it when you return. Brief periods of high pH does not do any damage. Your pH woudl stay at 7.2 for a few nanoseconds.

Reactions: JohnT
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.