pH 8.0 - Need to adjust?

Mickey Moose

Jul 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
I am in Texas - a lot of water lost to evaporation during long, hot summer... so a good bit of water is frequently added. City water source is 8.0. To have pH 7.8 or less I will very often be adding acid. Necessary? Or is 8.0 "close enough" to let it ride and not mess with acid?

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, very necessary..... unless you enjoy scale build up?

Bring it down to 7.2 and see how it goes. How's your TA? They work hand in hand so if one is high it will drag the other along with it.

Can you post a set of results?

Maddie :flower:

What is the TA of the fill water? Typically with high pH it also has a higher TA. Thus, the pH will not stop its rise at 8.
It is best to add acid to maintain a pH between 7.2 and 7.8. It is also easier on your eyes -- one can have irritation at high or low pH.

Take care.

My numbers have been way out of whack. Last week I did two small drain/refills. Current numbers (today) are below but my TA prior to draining was 145. My city water TA is 90.

FC goal is 9 (which I've been adapting as my overall numbers change as a result of the above mentioned drainings)
TA 110
CH 375
CYA 60
CSI 0.64
Water 82 degrees

Last edited:
If you keep a CSI of 0.64 for very long you will have calcium scale build up. You need to manage that lower. Lower your TA and keep pH in the 7.5 range.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.