Persistent Dead Algae

Aug 18, 2016
Norfolk, VA
Moved from here.

Looks like I'm having a similar problem. I'm having the same problem with shallow end, slope, and seams and it appears in lines. Does it look like the picture below? I've been slamming for 5 days with no color change, vacuumed it to waste, and it keeps coming back around. Any help would be appreciated!
SWG
FC: 21
CC: 0.5
PH- unknown due to slam, 7.4 prior.
TA- 80
CYA- 55ish

Last edited by a moderator:
Could that stuff possibly be superfine sand escaping from the filter?

Is it possible to rubber-band a sock over each return? If it's sand, it'll get caught in the sock.

When you vacuum it up, just vacuum to filter. Vacuuming to waste costs you a lot of water and bleach and refilling it will mess up your chemistry. Vacuum to waste is better when there are heaps of debris that would fill the filter within minutes.

Could that stuff possibly be superfine sand escaping from the filter?

Is it possible to rubber-band a sock over each return? If it's sand, it'll get caught in the sock.

When you vacuum it up, just vacuum to filter. Vacuuming to waste costs you a lot of water and bleach and refilling it will mess up your chemistry. Vacuum to waste is better when there are heaps of debris that would fill the filter within minutes.

I'll try the sock and see if that changes anything. I did a regular vacuum and it looked great that night. The next morning I came out and it was back as usual. Then I tried to vacuum to waste and the next morning same result. It doesn't really look like mustard algae because it's like lines of it and not large areas. Also looks like little piles and not a coating.

There are several scenarios that could be involved.

I can tell you that from my experience with mustard algae, it begins and returns in the same spots. Mine isn't a coating either. Some of it looks like somebody dumped sand down my corner slant, other areas look like splattered blobs, some are small spots, and other areas look closer to lines. It's weird. It starts off looking like dirt or sand. When the SLAM is in the process of being done (because I am OCD about it possibly populating my grids I vacuum to waste) it returns, but in lighter shades as time progresses. If the SLAM is not finished and circumstances cause the FC to drift near or within normal range, it returns in the same spots with colors shifting backwards to a light yellowish color. If I slowly move an object near it, it poofs up into a "dust" cloud. The cloud color tends to be similar to whatever stage it's in during treatment (or lack of). I hope your problem is one of the other possible scenarios. Mustard algae is one of the more difficult to conquer. For me, I have steps built in to the pool with crevices that I can't get any type of brush all the way back into and my fiber optic lights can't be removed unless the liner is being replaced.....so this will more than likely be an ongoing saga for me.

The experts on here are very helpful.

I'm fairly certain it is fine sand and other particles caught in the filter. I vacuumed the entire pool, turned off the filter and left it overnight. With the pump on it usually results in the problem. After leaving it off overnight, the pool was still crystal clear. Must have a crack in a lateral.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.