Perplexed in MD

1. Do I add 2 more lbs of Stabilizer to get CYA to 70 or do I wait a few days for the 4 lbs to get fully dissolved?
Wait. 60 is fine.
  1. At what point do I turn my SWG on? My thinking was to wait until FC is 5.0
Now, maintain the high end of the range.
  1. My target is to keep FC 5.0-6.0 and CYA 70. Does that seem reasonable?
I'd target 6-7. Until you learn your pool better.
  1. At which point do I start messing with TA?
Don't. Manage pH by keeping it in the 7s. When it gets to 8, reduce to 7.6. Rinse, repeat. TA will take care of itself...

Copy both. Maybe I am reading the CYA chart wrong? I thought CYA 60 is a bit low. At least that's how I read the "red" vs "green" recommended levels.

Attachments

• CYA 70.png
    CYA 70.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 6
  • CYA 60.png
    CYA 60.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 6
Maybe I am reading the CYA chart wrong? I thought CYA 60 is a bit low
It is for typical SWG pools. I have always run a 70, north of you, and am going to experiment with 80 once the summer is in full swing.

You may find 60 holds the FC just fine. That's great if so. If not you can bump it.

Reactions: openland
I, too, would hold off on boosting CYA until you have some experience maintaining a steady FC level AND you're certain there's no "rebound" SLAM coming. It's not at all uncommon for first time SLAMmers to find they didn't quite get everything (despite meeting 3 exit criteria).

I also play on #teamrunhot and target the upper end of my FC range. I just measured 8.5 (and falling) in my pool with CYA at 70 and boosted my SWG by 5% to keep it from getting any lower. Insurance is cheaper, imho, than having a problem due to low chlorine.

And post pics of your TFP clear water!
Here is one from this morning - filter at the deep end (8.5 feet) with my iPhone camera at 3x zoom while standing. So maybe 15' height total? Not a great photo - my pool is old and has a lot of staining on the bottom. I think it is a great candidate for replastering. It was constructed in 2003 and has not been replastered since (according to the neighbors). We only moved in last year. Hoping to get another year out of it as is.

In any case, I cranked up my SWG output from 30% to 60%. Will test FC around lunchtime. Cool and rainy day here in MD.

Deep End.jpg

Last edited:
Some more photos of the water clarity (ignore the pool stains … replaster is in the plans). The last photo is from the opposite end of the pool looking at the main drain (about 35 feet away and looking down 8.5’)IMG_5070.jpegIMG_5071.jpegIMG_5072.jpegIMG_5073.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for showing me the way - what a great forum and community!

I still have a low (200) CH to deal with (just ordered a 50 bucket of CaCl) but the pool season is happening!

Attachments

• IMG_5096.jpeg
    IMG_5096.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Ok, I have one more question. Prior to using the TFP method of pool care and maintenance, I had the pool store that the PO used open the pool back in April. Long story short ... I have a case of "Mineral Springs Renewal" sitting on my shelf. The store said I should add 6-7 lbs (1.5 bags) per week to keep things "balanced". I have read the threads about the product and I am definitely not buying any more "fancy branded stuff".

Bit what do you think I should do with the existing bags - is there any harm in adding a bag/week until I run out? I don't think the store will take back whatever I have left.

Sodium hydrogensulphate is dry acid, adds sulfates, destroys metals and concrete. Aluminium Sulfate is a flocculant. Phosphonic acid can either be an inorganic acid that will raise pH or a sequestrant.

Throw it out. First rule of Pool Club...know what you are adding to your pool and why...

1687780750630.png

Reactions: openland
Sodium hydrogensulphate is dry acid, adds sulfates, destroys metals and concrete. Aluminium Sulfate is a flocculant. Phosphonic acid can either be an inorganic acid that will raise pH or a sequestrant.

Throw it out. First rule of Pool Club...know what you are adding to your pool and why...

View attachment 507885
Copy all. I might throw the stuff on "Nextdoor" or similar to see if I can rid myself of them.

I might throw the stuff on "Nextdoor" or similar to see if I can rid myself of them.
It'll sell. Don't worry about the moral implications. Whoever buys it is going to buy it either way. They might as well save a few bucks buying it from you.

I have sold 175(?) Things on the offer up app, including above ground pool equipment and a case of powdered shock we inherited when we moved.

It'll sell. Don't worry about the moral implications. Whoever buys it is going to buy it either way. They might as well save a few bucks buying it from you.

I have sold 175(?) Things on the offer up app, including above ground pool equipment and a case of powdered shock we inherited when we moved.
It's a miracle! The pool store has agreed to buy it all back ... with slight restocking fee. So I am out only ~$25 on 2 cases that cost me $250. I was a bit surprised. They do have some integrity after all!

Reactions: Newdude
Ok. New problem. Yesterday around 1pm did my usual FC/CC + pH test. 6.0/0.0 with 7.8 pH. The SWG has been running at 50% (hot and humid day here in MD). Pump running 7am-10pm.

Then I added about 25 lbs of Calcium Hardness Increaser (my CH was at 200 before).

This morning, did my gambit of tests and CH went up to 290. But my FC/CC show 1.0/1.0.

I guess that means I need to SLAM again? What happened and why?

This morning, did my gambit of tests and CH went up to 290. But my FC/CC show 1.0/1.0.

I guess that means I need to SLAM again?
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, anytime you wonder. Then you don't need to guess.
The SWG has been running at 50%
50% for how long ? I scrolled up to see if the runtime was listed but either it isn't, or I missed it.
What happened and why?
It's possible the cell shut off after you checked it, but I doubt you lost 5 ppm in the afternoon only. I also doubt algae showed up while it was maintaining 6ppm just fine at lunch. So I'll put my money on your CYA being too low. Maybe it dipped to 50 and the extra hot day zapped your FC. If the OCLT passes, you need more CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.