Perplexed in MD

7 jugs of 10% Bleach solution added. I also turned the SWG off; pump is running 24/7. It is a cloudy/rainy day here in MD, so hoping that will help keeping the FC/CC level as needed. Will do an FAS-DPD FC/CC test tonight and then do another one tomorrow morning.

I hope I am on the right path.

P.S. side question about my Calcium Hardness. It's at 190 right now and TFP recommended level is 350. If I add the recommended 50 lbs of CaCl, do I do it at anytime? Or should I wait until my pool is good to go after the SLAM?

Thanks again for everyone's help - much appreciated!

I do not believe so - there is what seems to be a somewhat permanent staining on the ledges and along the bottom. I just ordered a different brush (50/50 nylon/steel) which arrives today. I will see if it does better with those spots.

I do not believe so - there is what seems to be a somewhat permanent staining on the ledges and along the bottom. I just ordered a different brush (50/50 nylon/steel) which arrives today. I will see if it does better with those spots.
Definitely worth a try...but if it was algae, you'd see a cloud when you brushed it even if it didn't completely come off. I was just curious because those are super common spots for algae to go nuts

Reactions: openland

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just got home from work and was able to do another test using the 10 ml sample and 1 drop = 0.5. Result: FC 15.5, CC 0.5. Added 3 more gal of 10% Bleach per app's SLAM calculation.

The battle continues ...

Last edited:
Good morning @MITBeta and @PoolStored - here is where I am

Last night, I came home late and tested. FC=15.5, CC=0.0-0.5. Added 3 gallons of Bleach per the app calculation for SLAM.
This morning ~6am, I tested again. FC=22, CC=0.0-0.5. I added 2.75 quarts of Bleach per the app calculation for SLAM. I also brushed the pool.

What do you recommend I do today? My thought was to just do 2-3 tests, not adding any Bleach, then do an overnight test to see if the FC loss is 1.0 ppm or less.

Or should I keep testing and adding Bleach to get the level to 24 during the day and then try an overnight test without adding anything after sunset?

Thank you! I am thinking of doing another test now, then one at lunchtime, then another one around 4pm. Then do the overnight keeping my fingers crossed.
It sounds like you might be turning the tide of the battle!

Looking through your results, it looks like you're testing at night, adding bleach, then not testing again until morning? If you test again after adding the bleach, you can get a true OCLT and see exactly how much you're losing.

It sounds like you might be turning the tide of the battle!

Looking through your results, it looks like you're testing at night, adding bleach, then not testing again until morning? If you test again after adding the bleach, you can get a true OCLT and see exactly how much you're losing.
That's my plan for today/tonight/tomorrow morning - test/add during the day, then perform the OCLT.

I did 2 morning tests/additions at 6:15am, 8:30am. I plan on doing 3 more tests/additions today at 12:00noon, 4:00pm, and 7:00pm (no more additions after 7:00pm).
Then I plan to do the OCLT - testing tonight after the sunset and then tomorrow morning before sunrise. My water was clear-ish (not green) from the get-go, so I am hoping a single SLAM process will do the trick.

Some questions:
- I have been brushing with a 50/50 brush - some milky clouds lift up right below the surface of the pool. Does dead algae consume Chlorine?
- How do I know when to clean the filter?
- Should I continue with the SLAM process but doing an OCLT test every night? Here is what I am thinking:
  • Test/add during the day, with last test/add around 9pm
  • Test only/no add (OCLT test) at around 11pm, then around 5:30am before sunrise

- I have been brushing with a 50/50 brush - some milky clouds lift up right below the surface of the pool. Does dead algae consume Chlorine?
Don't know. Maybe as it tries to break it down further after killing it...doesn't matter, gotta get it out.
- How do I know when to clean the filter?
Clean the filter and note pressure. When pressure rises 25%,, clean the filter. Rinse, repeat.
- Should I continue with the SLAM process but doing an OCLT test every night? Here is what I am thinking:
  • Test/add during the day, with last test/add around 9pm
  • Test only/no add (OCLT test) at around 11pm, then around 5:30am before sunrise
I would test/add every couple hours, do your last add at 10:30, do oclt at 11.

Some questions:
Chlorine will oxidize organic molecules..it does not know or care whether it is living or dead. When we put chlorine in water (bleach, trichlor, whatever) it dissociates into several different ions. The one we're most interested in it hypochlorous acid HOCl (not to be confused with hypochloric acid HCl). HOCl is a strong oxidizer. Algae is a plant, and as such is mostly carbohydrate (sugar). HOCl will continue to oxidize that that sugar until the reaction is complete, long after the algal cell is no longer viable.

This is another reason it is important to keep your pool clean..any organic material will be oxidized and consume chlorine, whether it's a leaf, a bacteria, or algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.