Perpetually cloudy pool

Ch has gone up to 120, which was what was expected. However, that reading was today, not prior to the giant white cloud, so maybe the stuff was stuck in the filter or lines and then blew out after the gasket was fixed. Maybe that is why the water remains cloudy today. Filter pressure may have changed by 1?, but barely. The filter looked good when I checked, very little debris on top (which I took out), sand even and appeared clean. I didn't take out the laterals, because I didn't see sand and I hoped the multiport gasket was the fix. :) I did use Power Powder as directed, but I've read a few accounts where other people who used this method had the same problem of grey/white dust on the bottom of the pool, so maybe this is a problem with the product. On the other hand, my water was cloudy before the Power Powder too. Probably because the gasket was broken and not pushing the water through the filter? Overnight test didn't show any drop. I'm chlorinating to the level of 20 or above and using 50 as my CYA level.

I'm going to let the water settle for a little while this morning, vacuum the dust to waste, maybe add a little DE to the filter and see if it can catch some more stuff, try a skimmer sock and see what i catch. Keep slamming. I'm not backwashing, because pressure really isn't going up and I have read that not backwashing may help in this instance.

Thanks for the encouragement

Sounds like a good plan hope it clears by Friday, reading a few other posts with the cloudy water problem and when it cleared it cleared pretty fast, keep SLAM going, I like the idea of using 50 ppm for CYA. let us know how it works out.

Final update on perpetually cloudy pool: I replaced the spider gasket on the multiport, put some DE in the filter and added a skimmer sock. We vacuumed to waste for two days and did not use the pool robot. By Thursday, the filter pressure was up by 5. By Friday, the pool was sparkling and clean for the party!!

I believe that the mangled gasket was allowing dirty water to keep going back into the pool. When I started adding calcium and using Power Powder Plus for shocking, this compounded the problem, adding a layer of fine dust to the bottom of the pool. My robot just stirred up the dust, but didn't filter it, making the water even worse. Once I got the dust vacuumed to waste and the multiport spider valve fixed, we were back in business.

Just as an added note, with all the vacuuming to waste, backwashing and adding water, CYA fell to 30. So I'm going to raise it slightly again.

Thanks to everyone for your support and advice. We couldn't have done it without you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.