Permits issued in NoVA - Now awaiting production

uvavi8r

Gold Supporter
Aug 8, 2020
Falls Church, VA
We signed a contract this morning for a Leisure Pool Elegance (27) here are the details as of right now:

Pool Leisure Elegance 27 (approx 11K gallons based on straight line volume computation, I was getting varied answers from different websites)
- The pool will not have any additional water features
- (1 skimmer, 3 returns, 2 main drains)

The equipment I would like to use is as follows:
We have a relatively small back yard but think this will work nicely...moved the pool location 4 times before we settled on the final location. Now we wait for permitting (Fairfax county takes about 60 days). This forum has been very helpful in helping with selections...and if anything is "out of whack" above, recommendations are appreciated.

Now it begins...I will keep the forum posted on developments, the house is getting painted this week as well, lots of work.

Wes

Last edited:
Reactions: swtalker
Hopefully your permit will be approved quicker than 60 days. Mine was just approved Monday and construction started Thursday over here in Maryland. My permit was applied for in May!!

My only suggestion is to switch to an IntelliTouch panel. It may even be cheaper than an Easy Touch with the screen logic add on. My builder switched it out for the same cost.

Last edited:
So, 3 weeks in and things are going sort of okay...we are having some difficulty getting through the permitting process for the install (Fairfax County probably has one of the more complicated and restrictive processes in the country) due to the design drawings being fairly generic. We are utilizing Leisure Pools Nationwide Installers as there isn't a dealer local to my area (that I know about). I have reached out to Luis and we "think" wet stamped plans (provided at an additional cost) will satisfy the county, if not, I am not sure what avenue to take next. I am considering using a permit expediter in the area. I will keep this thread and the forum updated. Any advice (especially in the area) or lessons learned will be greatly appreciated.

We signed a contract this morning for a Leisure Pool Elegance (27) here are the details as of right now:

Pool Leisure Elegance 27 (approx 11K gallons based on straight line volume computation, I was getting varied answers from different websites)
- The pool will not have any additional water features
- (1 skimmer, 3 returns, 2 main drains)

The equipment I would like to use is as follows:
We have a relatively small back yard but think this will work nicely...moved the pool location 4 times before we settled on the final location. Now we wait for permitting (Fairfax county takes about 60 days). This forum has been very helpful in helping with selections...and if anything is "out of whack" above, recommendations are appreciated.

Now it begins...I will keep the forum posted on developments, the house is getting painted this week as well, lots of work.

Wes
Why did you choose to go with Pentair products vs Hayward? How much us all the equipment you mentioned above. as a bundle? Thx

If you're in a HOA you could call them and ask about hoops and permits. I imagine Fairfax is interesting. Ask them if there are pools in your area and if they know of any permit difficulties. Part of the problem is delays due to Covid. I was told our permit would take a month.
My parents and brother lived in Fairfax for awhile. Gorgeous area but pricey. Both eventually moved to Ashburn. Another great place. Too much traffic though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're in a HOA you could call them and ask about hoops and permits. I imagine Fairfax is interesting. Ask them if there are pools in your area and if they know of any permit difficulties. Part of the problem is delays due to Covid. I was told our permit would take a month.
My parents and brother lived in Fairfax for awhile. Gorgeous area but pricey. Both eventually moved to Ashburn. Another great place. Too much traffic though.

We don't live in an HOA, but I am literally the last house in Fairfax County before you get into Falls Church city...so we have this going for us.

Well, we have permits...while not the easiest thing to do, the county was VERY helpful in the process. Our pool is 6 weeks into a 10-12 week production cycle. So if all goes well, we should start digging sometime in Jan 2021.

FYI - any one in NoVA (Fairfax County, VA) you will need to pay an additional fee to get "wet stamped" plans. Not much, it was an additional $350. The county has also streamlined the application process (after I made my submission), so it should be a bit easier for folks looking to manage their installations on their own (FTR, I now work for the USN in acquisitions, so cost, schedule and performance are my day to day life...). If anyone has questions or would like to discuss the process, just drop me a PM.

As a reminder, we are installing a Leisure pool (Elegance 26) fiberglass pool with the following equipment:
We are using the installers provided/recommended by LP (as there were no authorized dealers in our area), I will keep the forum posted on developments (goods and others) and I should have the ability to post time lapse.

We are excited...While having the back yard chewed up during the holiday season isn't optimal...we do feel that the timing couldn't be better for our enjoyment next year. Here is the pool layout we went with...we live in Falls Church, VA so yard space is fairly limited and we thought this maximized out utility of the back yard.
1605963973730.jpeg
1605964020887.jpeg

Good Morning! I'm out in Oakton and just starting the pool building process. We have a design for a concrete pool although we looked hard at doing a fiberglass pool. The potential installation challenges (and my history of bad luck with them) moved us away from it. Although we really liked the advantages.

We have a landscaping company coordinating our work and they are working with a pool construction firm on our behalf. We have heard that Fairfax County can take 90 days or longer to go thru the permitting process. I've looked up "wet stamped" but not sure i understand the context here. Does that help with Fairfax County? Any suggestions or tips in moving the process thru FFX County would be greatly appreciated, although we won't be doing the work personally.

Good Morning! I'm out in Oakton and just starting the pool building process. We have a design for a concrete pool although we looked hard at doing a fiberglass pool. The potential installation challenges (and my history of bad luck with them) moved us away from it. Although we really liked the advantages.

We have a landscaping company coordinating our work and they are working with a pool construction firm on our behalf. We have heard that Fairfax County can take 90 days or longer to go thru the permitting process. I've looked up "wet stamped" but not sure i understand the context here. Does that help with Fairfax County? Any suggestions or tips in moving the process thru FFX County would be greatly appreciated, although we won't be doing the work personally.
@CPinOaktonVA - I started my permit process in Oct and got the necessary permits on Friday, so not too bad. I will say, that if your pool installation disturbs more than 2500 SqFT, then it could take longer due to additional requirements (this is a great site for getting smart on the process and requirements - Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs | Land Development Services). If you are paying someone to manage this for you, it is on them to make it happen (and they are probably familiar with the process). We looked at a few companies in the area and there were some that were A+, and there were some that were what I call "Pack Minus". All in all I made the decision to sort of manage it myself because of the styling of the pool I got (and my brother used to own a pool company in Indiana). I might retreat that decision in about 6 months, but there was a LOT of risk assessment prior to making that decision.

I am not an engineer or architect...but my understanding of "wet stamped" means signed drawings. If you are going gunite (concrete), yours should be anyway because of the custom nature of the pool. With the pool company I went with, they had a generic set of drawing (no address, or code year) they sent...I guess some areas accept these for the installs, Fairfax County does not. It cost $350 and a few days to get the new drawings, but when I uploaded them into the county system, my permits were approved 2 days later.

I am sure that reading how you are approaching the install, you will have few problems (if any at all). If you PM me the name of the company I get let you know if we got a quote from them.

Good luck with the install and let me know if you have any more questions.

I am by no means an expert but the recommendations I have gotten on this site (from pretty much everyone) would be to ditch the EasyTouch and Screen Logic for an IntelliCenter. I believe it works out to be almost the same cost. I cannot comment on the operation of the IntelliCenter because I havent installed mine yet.

I am by no means an expert but the recommendations I have gotten on this site (from pretty much everyone) would be to ditch the EasyTouch and Screen Logic for an IntelliCenter. I believe it works out to be almost the same cost. I cannot comment on the operation of the IntelliCenter because I havent installed mine yet.

Intellicenter will cost the OP about $400-$500 more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.