Pergola over pool?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has put a pergola over their pool or at least part of it? If so, do yo have any pictures and is there anything you would do differently? I also thought about shade sails, but I don't think our HOA architectural committee would approve that.

Living in Texas with a back yard that faces due west, the sun and heat can be brutal. I have umbrellas but sometimes it's a bit too windy to use them.

Thanks,
David

You read my mind. I came here to ask the same question, but searched first. I had this idea earlier this week after seeing one with a retractable canopy like below and having the same thought.

pergola.jpg

Our little L portion sun shelf is 10 X 8, and I was thinking of putting a 10 x 12 pergola like the one above over it. I am very fair and don't tolerate direct sun well, even with sunscreen. I also couldn't find many people who have done this. Found a few partial patio covers like below, but no freestanding pergolas.

poolcovered.jpg

I'm trying to decide if it's a brilliant idea or a foolish one, and I just don't know.

I have 2 backyard pergolas that are not over my pool, but that provide some food for thought. Just my 2 cents.

1. My pergolas are white painted wood. The paint chips off over time and drops onto whatever’s below. Painting an over-pool pergola would not be a good idea.

2. Birds love love love pergolas. They love to sit on them and they love to nest in them. An over-pool pergola would need bird deterrents such as spikes, which may make it less attractive if the deterrents are visible.

Last edited:
My pergola is not over my pool. It has retractable fabric canopies that release in high winds. That way they roll with the wind and don't get blown out. The uprights are vinyl clad 4x4, the rails are vinyl clad aluminum so no painting required. I've seen others that are all aluminum and bolt to the concrete. That might work for you.

Reactions: RS220
1. My pergolas are white painted wood. The paint chips off over time and drops onto whatever’s below. Painting an over-pool pergola would not be a good idea.

2. Birds love love love pergolas. The love to sit on them and they love to nest in them. An over-pool pergola would need bird deterrents such as spikes, which may make it less attractive if the deterrents are visible.

Both of those are excellent points, thank you! I'm not sure I would have thought of either.

The first photo is the pegola without any canopies. The pool needed a new liner and I hadn't mounted the canopies yet. The second photo is later in the year with the canopies up and water in the pool. The shaded are is roughly 16' x 21"

IMG_1370.JPGIMG_1450.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.