People tec pool with cracks

It's hard to say how much of a problem the crack is.

I suspect that the crack has been patched at some point and the pool replastered.

I suspect that the crack has grown again since the last replaster.

So, it's a gamble. Maybe it won't be a problem or it might be a big problem. Hard to say, even with an on site evaluation.

Testing and remediation by a qualified engineer will be expensive.

Will the seller give you any information about the history?

Whew, I really appreciate hearing that. I feel awful about all of it, the hearing and the telling. Do you mind if I ask? (And no need to answer publicly.) I gave this advice to a friend. Is there a pressing need to buy, right now? Prices are going up, so there's that. But they will stop, then come right back down. (They always have.) Check this out, this is Bakersfield, right off Zillow (dubious source, but for the sake of this conversation):

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 4.39.35 PM.jpg

There's no one that can tell you that you're shopping at the top of this curve, but you're certainly not shopping at the bottom of it. You can hope that you're in the middle, but you're probably closer to the top than the bottom (my opinion only). So you've already got a built-in wealth building challenge by buying now. Can you ride out the rental, or a different one, long enough to get you to the other side of this curve, and closer to the bottom? Then you'd be golden! Your realtor should be able to furnish you with much better data. Has he had this conversation with you? Or our other forces dictating that you buy now?

I just can't help but compare your situation with my friend's. He's near 70. He bought at the top of the curve, when he was maybe a little older than you are now. He sunk in six figures after the purchase, because this was to be his dream home, and he and his wife were convinced they could flip the house at any point to make all their money back and then some. (People do do this all the time.) But their lives changed, and the market changed, and now he's stuck. He's still upside down after all the recent upswings (and this is the Bay Area, not CA valley). He can't sell. He can't move. He can't even rent it to cover the mortgage. This is just for the loans. His six-figure improvements are a total loss. He blew his retirement, it's gone, and now he's too old to do anything about it. He's still working, on his hands and knees. He want's to move to another state, to be with his new love and he can't. Being strapped to his house has completely degraded his quality of life. And he is still, to this day, fixing the things that were wrong with the house when he bought it. His latest project was one that was cleverly concealed with paint (that's why I asked about paint!).

You're young. -ish. If this house turned out to be a mistake, you could recover. But you could also find yourselves in your late 60s, without anything in the bank, even or upside down on your house, at that point with enough equity that you couldn't walk away from it, but not enough to cover a loss, with a pool that still leaks (it cracked again after an earthquake, even after you fixed it for $30K), no way to sell, no way to move... That's worse case, of course, but totally plausible. If you bought the same/similar house three years from now, for $100K less, that would make a huge difference 15-20 years later in what you could do. (Again, "three years" is a meaningless number, just hypothetical. Could be one year, could be 10!)

I'm not predicting anything, and no one can. That house could double in value. The leak could be fixed with putty. Etc. But this is about odds at this point, only partially negated by inspections and market history trends. That's really all you have to go on. But there are prevention-type decisions that can be made. This might be one of them. What are the odds that the pool is an inexpensive fix and won't crack again (it's already done so once!)? What are the odds that Bakersfield real-estate will double in value over the next ten years (has it ever? Has it ever doubled twice without a correction?)? What are the odds that you'll want to stay in that home long enough for it to pay off financially? Etc... That's what Swampwoman meant by "you make your money on a house when you buy, not when you sell." It's this decision now, based on your current and projected income(s), that might govern the rest of your life. Dun, dun, duuunnnnnn. Awful, right?

Pardon me for saying, but the best thing you've said so far is "more of a forget it attitude." That's what you need when buying a house. It's near impossible. I get it. There's nothing wrong with you in that regard! You want to be in love with your house!! Of course! You should be! Why else would you commit to a 30-year loan!?! But you have to somehow fight off that very human trait. You have to be willing to walk away if you need to. That's one of the ways you know you're making a good decision. So kudos to you for reaching out. Asking for advice. Here and elsewhere. Get all that free advice first. If that's enough to convince you to walk, then you're done and you've spent a minimum to get there. Spend it on the next escrow. If not, then you've done your due diligence to rationalize the next steps (which cost more).

By the way, since I'm flogging you so... Your realtor should be telling you all this, not a stranger. Someone here already pointed out: Dealing with a family friend is really sticky. I fired a realtor who was a friend, for lack of performance, and I haven't talked to her since. I hope that doesn't become an issue. You have a right, friend or no, to demand he do his job. And to review that job at any point to keep him on his toes. Make him earn that commission! He should have found that crack, day one (before he even showed you the house! A good realtor will visit every house on the market and know what it is before offering it to a client). He should have fought for the home warranty. He should be making some of these phone calls for you right now. Is he? He should be providing comps and market analysis, without having to be asked. And maybe he is. But realtors are very good and convincing their clients that they are "working sooo hard." Have him go dig you up a new pool! That's working hard!!

Ask him what his commission is on this sale. Has he offered to credit any of it to you. That is done all the time by someone that is really motivated and really cares about his clients, let alone a friend! (I forget the exact MO for that, there's some Realtor rules, etc, but it is done.)

I'll give you one last bit of advice (until the next bit that is!! ;) ), given to me by someone dear, which has served me oh so well for oh so many years. (And I'm not just talking about the realtor, I mean the whole deal, and your whole life for that matter.) Super simple, super easy to remember, applicable in virtually any circumstance (drill this into your young son):

If it feels icky, don't do it.

It's hard to say how much of a problem the crack is.

I suspect that the crack has been patched at some point and the pool replastered.

I suspect that the crack has grown again since the last replaster.

So, it's a gamble. Maybe it won't be a problem or it might be a big problem. Hard to say, even with an on site evaluation.

Testing and remediation by a qualified engineer will be expensive.

Will the seller give you any information about the history?

we decided to put the ball back into the sellers court, either he fix the pool along with the $500 appraisal damages are we are out. We have a lot that needs replaced inside that is going to cost us, doors floors and appliances around $15000 alone so we shall see or else we will take a break and wait in till it becomes a buyers market again - prices have went up 8-12 percent since we went into escrow

we decided to put the ball back into the sellers court, either he fix the pool along with the $500 appraisal damages are we are out. We have a lot that needs replaced inside that is going to cost us, doors floors and appliances around $15000 alone so we shall see or else we will take a break and wait in till it becomes a buyers market again - prices have went up 8-12 percent since we went into escrow

Hard ball! Love it. Way to go!!

For what it's worth...

When I moved a few years ago, this was my shopping experience.

First off, I snagged the owner/broker of a 40-person real estate firm. She was/is a shark. A real go-getter, and it was clear from day one why she was the boss and so successful. She "owns" my town and nobody here (other realtors) mess with her.

The first house she showed me was one I had been staring at on the internet for some time. I pretty much thought that was going to be the one. I get to the house and ruled it out in short order, surprised how different it looked/felt in person.

The second house she showed me was one that I had already ruled out online, because it had a weird look to it, and the backyard, even with a pool, was funky and small. But when I actually saw it, wow! It took about 15 minutes for my brain to transition from my preconceived notion about the house and yard to realizing this property was super special (and the yard is huge, just photographed poorly). Virtually everything I was looking for. The problem was, the property was in escrow. So I was all "Why the h are you showing me the perfect house that I can't have?!?" Short version, she'd done her homework and had caught wind that the escrow was in trouble. Something about funding. We put in a backup offer, the escrow caved, and I got the house. The buyers had just barely won out in a four-way multiple offer, presumably by offering over asking. My realtor suggested I offer the original asking price, which was accepted. Something I would not have thought to do. Additionally, she later told me that she had caused quite a ruckus for herself in the local realtor community because she managed to pull all this off before the agents of the other three original "multiple offereres" even realized what had happened. They were all po'd that she snagged this house for me right out from under their noses. It all went down in about 48 hours. Snooze ya lose.

In the following weeks, during my escrow's contingency phase, I proceeded with the following attitude. That this was all too good to be true. Something was amiss. I did everything I could to find out what was wrong with this house. Visits to the building department. Thorough inspections. (Even though the house was only four years old!) I even continued to view other houses, about a couple dozen! What? Yep, I was very thorough in convincing myself that this was the very best I could do, and that nothing was wrong with this deal.

So true or not, in my mind I'm quite certain that within my price range, I got the very best house in town. I got it at the best price possible. And there's nothing about it that will come back to haunt me. So far, nothing has proven otherwise.

So, bragging aside, I'm telling you this story for these take-aways:

- Your choice of realtor is key. The right realtor can make all the difference. If you love your guy, and you think he's doing all he can for you, great. But if not... there is (typically) no contract. You are free to interview and work with another realtor. If you think someone else can do better for you, you should use someone else. The "family friend" thing makes this a bit of an issue, but if he's truly a friend... Point being, this is about you, and what's best for you, not about him and his commission. Did you interview any other realtors? Couldn't hurt to do so now. Just go out and have some conversations with some others. You can tell them exactly what's going on. That you want to make sure there isn't someone else that could be doing better. No need to hide anything. See what they say, what they have to offer. If nothing else, you'll have a better sense that your guy is the right guy. And if he isn't, you'll get a sense of that to.

- Make sure your realtor is doing everything he can to find you the right place. Has he seen, in person, every house on the market in your area? How is he determining what he shows you? Is he doing his homework and making sure that even houses in escrow are really off the market? Granted, my situation was a fluke. But my realtor made it a fluke!

- Erase any preconceived notions about what you think you know about this house or any other on the market. Don't skip looking at a house just because you're "sure" it's not the one. You never know. Don't skip looking at other houses just because you're "sure" you've found the one. You never know.

- Everything is negotiable. One tactic is to just go low ball everyone and see if one sticks. Realtors don't like to do this because it makes them look silly and it's a lot of work. Boo hop. But I would have never guessed low-balling my seller would have worked, considering they had three others waiting in the wings. But it did. They wanted out, they were discouraged by the buyers funding fiasco, and they just wanted out. I just happened to be there at the right time and they didn't care about the money difference. Ya just never know.

Good luck to you with your new plan. I think you're on the right track. If this one doesn't work out, they'll be another out there that will be just as nice, and perhaps even better suited for you.

And if you're in a position to wait, then that puts you in the driver's seat, especially if you can get out of your rental with a 30-day notice. Think about that. It puts you in a much better position than some of your other competition (other buyers) who are forced to shop at a specific time and who will be forced to buy before a specific date (for a new job, or school schedule or baby on the way, whatever). You can be poised to just wait for the perfect house, at the right time in terms of the market, to come along and grab it when it does, before anybody else does...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Smart! Good call. Never fall in love with a home. There are always others. Especially when the owner thinks he knows more than anyone else. Good Luck!

We have a lot that needs replaced inside that is going to cost us, doors floors and appliances around $15000 alone so we shall see or else we will take a break and wait in till it becomes a buyers market again

What you're looking for is a house where somebody else had to do all that work! Every seller thinks their house is worth more than it is! (Ha, you will too, when the time comes. We all do!) A lot of what people do to a house doesn't really increase it's selling price. I bought a house with about a $100K backyard (pool, concrete, landscaping, etc). It comp'ed the same as a house across the street without any of that. The sellers took it in the shorts because they over-improved a house in a neighborhood that didn't support that. A lot of times people think they're being smart with the improvements, and that they'll get all that money back. Generally only savvy house-flippers can make that work. Other times sellers think they are going to live there forever, but something changes and they have to leave all that hard work and money behind. My sellers had to leave and couldn't recoup their investment, I got a free pool out of it. (Pools are among the worst improvements you can do, investment-wise. That's why the pool you're looking at, even if it was perfect, might be worth nothing, in terms of what you should pay for the house, and what you'll be able to ask for it someday. It's why I've been squeaking so loud, the last thing you want is a pool that needs a lot of money, because it's already worth zero property-value-wise. That might be different in Bakersfield. Your realtor should know.)

Don't be the home owner that does all the improvements for the next buyer. Be the next buyer, that gets all the improvements someone else did. You can find this type of deal if your realtor is sharp, and quick, you look at a lot of houses, and you pounce when you find it (being prepared with a big downpayment and/or a killer loan and/or the ability to buy at any time of the year all help in that regard).

If you don't have the financials to back that up, then you don't always get the best deal, but you can still shoot for that, look for that. Or take this time, while you wait for the market to correct, to really buckle down and put a better down payment together. You can never have too much! Money talks!! It's one of the reasons my sellers took my offer without going back to the previous ones. I had a good down, and good financing, and from their perspective they weren't going to have to stress about the close. You can still be on top in a sellers market by being a better buyer than everyone else. You can even offer less and get a better deal than someone that offers more but doesn't look as good on paper. Easy to say, I realize, but a goal to shoot for...

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to talk you out of a pool (just a cracked one!). On the contrary, if you want a pool, that can be a good buyer advantage, because not everybody does, so that means you'll have less competition for a house with a pool. I just meant don't pay much extra for one when you buy, and don't expect to get much extra for one when you sell...

Tip o' the day (OK, third tip!):

As a renter, you're in a good position to catch a good deal at a different time of year. Early spring is typically when houses are priced highest (like... right now). You mentioned prices just went up in Bakersfield, that's probably why. They may come back down in late summer. (Again, you're realtor should be on top of this, and maybe he explained it already.) You're not trying to maximize the sale of a house to go get another one, so you can buy in any season you want to. Maybe when the prices are better and sellers are looking to deal because they missed the prime selling season. Off Zillow, check it out:

https://www.zillow.com/research/strategy-best-time-to-buy-15066/

Here's an excerpt:

• Spring features the highest number of homes that are newly listed, making it the right time to buy for buyers most interested in finding the perfect home.
  • Spring is also the time of year when buyers will face the most competition, meaning homes sell faster and for a higher premium than at any other point in the year.
  • Buying towards the end of summer offers patient buyers both selection and bargains.
The start of the busy home shopping season in early spring is a time of optimism for would-be home buyers – more new listings come on the market in spring than any other time of year. Come late spring, however, that optimism may turn into desperation as fear of missing out on the season’s newly listed homes leads many to pay more for a home than they otherwise may have.
But buyers seeking the best time to buy — looking to hit the market both when selection is good and deals are abundant — should remember that patience is a virtue and consider opening their home shopping window in late summer instead, according to a Zillow analysis of listing and price data from 2016.

By the way, check out this house with a pool (though not as big a yard). Hard to believe you can buy a house with a pool for that amount. The pool is definitely free on this one!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...,-118.072815,33.911454,-122.016907_rect/7_zm/

I'm not shopping for you, this one just popped up when I was looking for the best time to buy in Bakersfield. Sometimes Zillow offers graphs that illustrate buying/selling trends in a local area. Your realtor should have access to that kind of data...

Tip o' the day (OK, third tip!):

As a renter, you're in a good position to catch a good deal at a different time of year. Early spring is typically when houses are priced highest (like... right now). You mentioned prices just went up in Bakersfield, that's probably why. They may come back down in late summer. (Again, you're realtor should be on top of this, and maybe he explained it already.) You're not trying to maximize the sale of a house to go get another one, so you can buy in any season you want to. Maybe when the prices are better and sellers are looking to deal because they missed the prime selling season. Off Zillow, check it out:

https://www.zillow.com/research/strategy-best-time-to-buy-15066/

Here's an excerpt:

By the way, check out this house with a pool (though not as big a yard). Hard to believe you can buy a house with a pool for that amount. The pool is definitely free on this one!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...,-118.072815,33.911454,-122.016907_rect/7_zm/

I'm not shopping for you, this one just popped up when I was looking for the best time to buy in Bakersfield. Sometimes Zillow offers graphs that illustrate buying/selling trends in a local area. Your realtor should have access to that kind of data...

Hi Dirk, That one says sold in 2016 - yes he does have this info for us .....it’s just our heart was set on that Eagle Ranch in County but we have walked away since seller can’’t fix anything waterfall that’s leaking or pool. We’re now looking at 289k range to find something nicer that doesn’’t need any work since that is money we would of had to invest anyways for floors, doors, knobs, paint etc.

We will see if we find anything and keep looking for the time being. Ive been looking for several months at houses, I did see Oct - Nov being a good time to buy, price wise we just were not ready at that time but even though Houses with our criteria are far and in between. 1700 sq ft or more plus 9-10,000 sq fr yard with pool and GRASS for our family of 6 furbabies and not smack up to our neighbors - want a good space size between houses and minimal houses surrounding us is much better, so corner lot or no one behind us.

Thank you for all your efforts to guide me to make a logical decision.
01f1a299793617f5098def06f70e4b20.jpg

I know it stings to walk, but I think you dodged a bullet. I agree with Dirk that the market is a bit too hot right now. I'm getting side-eye from the wife, but this isn't my first real estate rodeo and I told her if our home value goes up just a bit more, we're selling and will be renting until the next correction happens, at which point we'll be in awesome shape to trade up significantly.

You're doing great - just remember that values are way up again right now, and they won't keep going up forever - you might be stuck upside down in a purchase for the next 10 years just to get back to par - be prepared.

Your welcome. Keep looking, it's out there. Very best of luck to you and your amazing family!!. Who's the boss? I guess....... Mickey! ;)

I know it stings to walk, but I think you dodged a bullet. I agree with Dirk that the market is a bit too hot right now. I'm getting side-eye from the wife, but this isn't my first real estate rodeo and I told her if our home value goes up just a bit more, we're selling and will be renting until the next correction happens, at which point we'll be in awesome shape to trade up significantly.

You're doing great - just remember that values are way up again right now, and they won't keep going up forever - you might be stuck upside down in a purchase for the next 10 years just to get back to par - be prepared.

you have a good point I might just consider chilling out for now and being happy with my rental

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.