Los Angeles, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
A couple of weeks back we got a new Pentair Warrior SE from Marina Pool and Spa as recommended by several folks on here. The problem is that the cord becomes so tangled that often the robot won't be able to reach the entire pool. There's lots of good advice on here, and I've tried everything I can think of or have read about:
  • Try to leave cord laying out flat as much as possible, or use the "over/under" coiling technique and nice big loops if on the caddy.
  • If coiling start from the robot end, not the plug end.
  • Only put a little bit more cable in the pool than is needed.
  • Make sure the swivel connection on the cord is ok.
  • Make sure the robot turns in both directions???
I wonder if the last one might be the issue? I might need to watch the robot longer, but I don't think I've ever seen it turn in either direction. It seems to always go frontwards or backwards in a straight line until the floor curvature forces it in a new direction. Can anyone with a Maytronics robot tell me if yours turns? The only other thing I can think of is that the cold pool might be making the cord or swivel too stiff. Our water temperature is in the low 60s.

Thanks for any advice!

After our robot runs. I pull gently on the cord to remove the major tangles with the swivel. The swivel does not help much when the robot runs.

The owner's manual troubleshooting (which I should have read to begin with) suggested that the cord can get tangled if the robot gets stuck on the drain cover. This might well be the culprit. When the robot gets stuck on a drain cover it can spin in several circles before it works its way loose. The suggested solution is to use a main drain cover ring. The closest thing I can find was this on Amazon:

It has pretty bad reviews though. I'll look for other ways to stop it from getting stuck and post here if I find anything.

In case it helps someone else, I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was giving the robot just enough cord to reach the entire pool plus a little bit extra. The rest was coiled up on the caddy a few feet away. After reading TFM again, I started to lay out the entire cord on the pool deck. It will still get lightly tangled and the robot will pull all of it into the pool eventually, but it no longer twists into those tight braids that limit the movement.

The robot does occasionally get stuck on the drain covers for a few minutes, but it's not really an issue when it has enough cord slack.

Was having similar issues. What I found with mine was that a stick had entered the impeller and knocked the impeller cover loose. This was preventing it from turning properly. I follow the procedure to clean the impeller and reset the housing and all is good again.

Reactions: kevinskii
While my two-year old Warrior 200SE is a big improvement over the Polaris 280 it replaced, the anti-tangle cord has been a major disappointment to say the least. I think Maytronics could not have designed a more tangle prone cord if they tried.
Fwiw, I leave my robot in the pool full time (not worth for me to take it out except to clean filters), feed all the cord available into the pool and don't use a caddy.
I'm hoping to get at least one more year's use and eventually upgrade to smart mapping technology (what happened to the announced IO?) and much better anti-tangle technology.

Reactions: Kimmmg2003
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.