Pentair variable speed pool pump does not prime and causing the alarm to activate

rp7777

Oct 10, 2011
Plantation Fl
I have a pentair variable speed pump, mx8 cleaner and skimmer motion which has been working fine for several seasons until I noticed my pool pump stopping. It seems to be getting air. I started by removing the skimmer motion which floats along the surface and does allow a small amount of air into the pump. The did not resolve the issue. I them submerged the the hose complexly under water and the problem still continued. Finally I removed the hose completely and problem seems to stop. The hoses are only about 1 yr old and do not appear damaged or cracked but even if they were, the issue continued even while the hoses were submerged.
Any suggestions?

rp,

So clearly, we do not have a pump problem..

I don't know much about suction side cleaners, as I live in this Century, :mrgreen: but it sounds to me like your pump can't suck enough water through the hose and that is why you get the alarm..

How fast is the pump running? Has this be changed recently?

Have you tried the hose without the cleaner?

Could the hose or cleaner be clogged?

Does the cleaner hose attach to the skimmer through the skimmer mouth or over the top of the coping..

Let's see if we can get our members with suction side cleaners to respond..

Edit.. Are you running all skimmer or is your main drain valve also open a little???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.