Pentair Variable Speed 342001 Won't Turn on!

JoeNC

Sep 6, 2015
Charlotte
Hi - I have a Pentair Variable Speed pump that doesn't seem to be getting any power/something is seriously wrong. I cannot get the LCD screen to turn on. I went to the pump today and noticed that there was no power, so I checked the breaker in both the garage and the second breaker by the pump. The breaker by the garage was tripped, which seemed strange to me, so I fixed that. When I went back to the pool, the booster pump next to the main pump turned on, but the pool pump would still not get any power to the LCD screen. Any ideas on what can be wrong? I tried holding down the start button and I tried reaching my hand inside the intake of the pump to see if there were any obvious blocks. First Issue with the pump, i've had it for about a year and a half.

Thanks for the help,

Joe

Joe,

The first thing you need to do is measure the incoming AC power to the pump... right at the connection at the pump.

You need to find out if the pump is bad or is it just not getting electrical power.. Is it wired for 110 or 220 volts?

You can't just guess, you need to know for sure by using a volt meter.

Have you had any electrical storms or lightning recently??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Joe,

No, this would not be a capacitor issue.. I'm not even certain that VS pumps have starter caps????

So to me, the question is... do you have power to the timer box? If so, is the timer box applying power to the pump?

Jim R.

Here's the update on the power testing. The Intermatic timer has 240V on the input terminals (terminal 2 and terminal 4) and 240V on the output terminals (terminal 3 and terminal 5). From this it seems like the pump is getting power. I also unscrewed the pump cover and tested the terminals directly and confirmed that there are 240V at the two terminals of the pump.

Now I'm at a loss, i thought for sure it would just not be getting power. The pump won't even turn on, no LCD screen or humming or anything. Any ideas?

Joe, what is the model of the pump and was it installed by a pool pro for warranty or yourself? If former, have you checked the warranty timeframe?

One other thought is to turn off the breaker that is serving the pump and leave it off for 30-60 min's...sometimes that off time and a restart can jolt it into working

Te pump model is::

[h=1]Pentair SuperFlo VS Energy Efficient Variable Speed Pool Pump | 1.5HP Single Phase 115-230V 50-60HZ | 342001[/h]
This pump is supposed to have a 3yr. warranty, but Pentair apparently will not recognize online pump sales under their warranty. It was installed by a Pool Pro. I plan to call them on Monday when they open. Thanks for the tip on the breaker, i'll keep that off for an hour and see what happens.

Te pump model is::

[h=1]Pentair SuperFlo VS Energy Efficient Variable Speed Pool Pump | 1.5HP Single Phase 115-230V 50-60HZ | 342001[/h]
This pump is supposed to have a 3yr. warranty, but Pentair apparently will not recognize online pump sales under their warranty. It was installed by a Pool Pro. I plan to call them on Monday when they open. Thanks for the tip on the breaker, i'll keep that off for an hour and see what happens.

An internet buy should be a non-deal-breaker..if also installed by a pool professional, you should be covered. If not, that's a HUGE PROBLEM w Pentair for sure...Have you tried calling the person that did the install to determine if they have a worked-around if Pentair defaults on their responsibility of taking care of their customers. I would ask them point blank why they do not honor an internet purchase? The only thing I can think of is if it's banged around and they have to fork-out bc of bad shipping practices..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.