Pentair valve/actuator

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
Hi,

This unit is sucking air. When I run water over it (the shaft area under the handle) the air stops accumulating in the adjacent pump.
The housing does not appear to be leaking.
1. Replace O rings first?
2. Replace entire thing?
3. Can someone give me a link to better understand the function of this valve and the actuator? I know this was set originally to allow some shared flow between pool and spa - but I'd like to better understand how the pin settings affect flow left to right when I reassemble.
Thanks! Bob
Valve Pool.jpgValve Pool 1.jpg

The actuator is not the problem of a leak. It just sits on top of the valve and turns the handle.

Remove the handle and the actuator from on top of the valve and put the handle back on the valve and check it manually. You then can see where the valve is leaking. Chances are it is an O ring. The valve disassembles with a few screws. Buy an O ring kit for the valve.

Bob,

Obviously, the actuator has nothing to do with any air leak.. So, the first step is to replace the O-rings inside the valve itself and see if that fixes your air leak.

As far as the pins go, they are just there to make sure the valve stops turning where you want it to stop.. You can simple take the pins out and allow the valve to turn where ever you want.

The handle points to the pipe you want water to use and the opposite end of the handle points to what pipe you want shut off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks -
I know I needed a starting point of understanding before I disassembled it.
Would the valve be a called a Jandy 3 way valve? (Unsure if I need a Pentair named product under this actuator) Would the O ring kit be the same as an on/off manual 2 way Jandy valve?

Oh, and now I remember the settings question-- the spa cascades into the pool when the pool side is running.
Am I right that the pin settings can be adjusted so that when the pool side is flowing I can adjust the amount of water flowing to the spa so it cascades water?

Bob,

The valve in your pic has nothing to do with the spa overflowing into the pool.. We need to see pics of your plumbing around your Return valve. Some pools offset the Return valve, but a lot of pools use a make up valve set up..

Show us the pics...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Am I right that the pin settings can be adjusted so that when the pool side is flowing I can adjust the amount of water flowing to the spa so it cascades water?

I think you have a Pentair diverter valve, not Jandy.

Those pins in the handle do nothing as stops when connected to the actuator. The stops in the actuator are adjusted by moving cams on the inside of the actuator that contact the shutoff microswitches.

I replaced the valve (yes Pentair) and no more air bubbles in the return.

Thank you Jim and aj but I think your answers tell me my questions are punching above my weight class :)

I'll post pics when I get a chance to better understand my pipes.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.