Pentair valve actuator CVA-24 is stuck

rwrDick

Jun 7, 2019
Livermore, CA
I read the postings and responses to this problem, and did not find a solution. I read that 99% the time, it is the limit switches that are the problem. I am a one-percenter. I checked the switches, and they are fine. I removed the motor from the valve gears, and it works fine. When the motor is replaced and power applied, I hear the motor trying to turn, but it cannot. With the motor installed, I cannot manually turn the valve with the switch in the middle (off) position. If I remove the motor, I can easily turn the valve manually. I can also easily rotate the shaft on the motor with my fingers. It is only when fully put together that the motor will not turn the valve, and the valve cannot be turned manually. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have found the shaft can dry out. A bit of lubricant can free it up. On top of the actuator.

Thanks very much. I tried your suggestion, and that was not the problem. However, I fiddled around, did essentially nothing, and it started to function properly! I have no explanation. I will hope for the best -- and may have to return later!

Last edited:
To turn the actuator manually you have to disengage the gear train. Have you done that?

It is normal to not be able to move the valve with the handle when the actuator is connected.

Manual Override, Power Off (Jandy and should work for others)
  1. Move toggle switch located on the bottom of actuator to the OFF (center) position.[12]
  2. Unscrew (counterclockwise) the locking knob above the handle four (4) full turns.
  3. Push down on the locking knob (not the handle). This will disengage the gear train and allow the handle, and thus the valve diverter, to be moved to any position.
  4. To return the actuator to automatic position, pull up on the handle while turning it clockwise or counterclockwise until you feel the shaft slide up into the gear train. Turn the locking knob down (clockwise) until snug.
  5. Put toggle switch back to the original position.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.