Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump to Intellicenter

CoolPool131

Jan 16, 2020
Melbourne, FL
Anyone know the connections of the pump (ULTRATEMP HIGH PERFORMANCE POOL HEAT PUMP 460833) to the Intellicenter ❓
A lot of the manuals don't even mention an Intellicenter hookup, just Intellitouch and Easy Center.
Technician looks like he hooked to up to the Gas Heater plug with Green and White. Read something on here that something might need to be in the Solar plug and just hanging there to get resistance reading.
When we walked through the Wizard Setup, it didn't find a Heat Pump.

Attachments

• MotherBoardDiagram.jpg
    MotherBoardDiagram.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 45
  • MotherBoardHeaterSolar.jpg
    MotherBoardHeaterSolar.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 41
Attached is the new board picture. The I5 died early on and replaced with an I8.
The pool company actually got it working. It is hooked up in the top right with green and the yellow, J2 (Gas Heater). Give me a second and I'll check at the unit. I think I have to take the panel off.

Attachments

• MotherBoard_I8.jpg
    MotherBoard_I8.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 44
I think I have everything wired the same as you at this point. Are you able to control your temp on the app and it reflects that change on your heater display panel?
When I change it on the app, it does not change on the unit.63FAB57B-8CC3-476D-B9DC-1E1C7A6C6D39.jpeg6F4201F9-FE55-4833-8788-C3BCADC8B1FF.jpeg77BF8042-BED6-4337-AE6B-E371F5CF8B3F.jpeg

Any reason you are not using the RS485 ports on the UltraTemp and IntelliCenter? It's the whole reason for having automation. Instead of adding a solar temp probe, add a 10K 1/4w resistor, solar will read 75° all the time and save you $30 on the probe.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Intellicenter looks like yours. At the Heater Panel, the only thing that changes is the actual temp on the right. The left SET= is always at 104.
HOWEVER, we have an attached spa. At the heater panel, it says SPA HEATING. SET-104 ACT=85 even though it's heating the pool. I guess I can change to POOL but it's all going to the same place. When we turn on the spa via the app, everything is directed to the spa.

The reason your pool installer couldn't get the UltraTemp to work on RS485, is that it needs the solar port connection resistance reading. To test out if everything works correctly on RS485, move your air temp to solar and remove the yellow/green wires connect to the spades and connect them to a 485 port. On the UltraTemp via the menu set it to use RS485. The UltraTemp Manual has the process.

Last edited:
The reason your pool installer couldn't get the UltraTemp to work on RS485, is that it needs the solar port connection resistance reading. To test out if everything works correctly on RS485, move your air temp to solar and remove the yellow/green wires connect to the spades and connect them to a 485 port. On the UltraTemp via the menu set it to use RS485. The UltraTemp Manual has the process.
I think the confusion there is that is doesn’t say Intellicenter at all in that setup. Also, J7 and J8 are taken by the Intellichlor and Pump. So what other com port would I plug into?

I got it working perfectly now! Confirmed everything through Pentair support.
So I added a solar sensor, put my green and yellow wires into the RS485 port on the heater and then tied them into the com A green and yellow on the Intellicenter. (I learned you can have mulitple wires in the green/yellow com ports which is what was holding me back before) Then I just added the heater as Ultratemp.

Wanted to say thanks for the pointer about needing a solar temp sensor. I got a third party one from Amazon (Wholesale Sensors, $14) and that did the trick. I'm pretty sure my UltraTemp was the first one my pool contractor had installed and they weren't able to figure it out.