Pentair Ultratemp Heat Pump not heating water

Nov 28, 2015
O'Fallon,IL
Good morning. I'm coming to you guys because my normal pool maintenance company is at a loss. My Heat pump is not heating the water at all. The fan is running and the flow is good, but the water is not heating. They thought it might be the temp sensor and replaced that, but no luck. his pentair rep stated it was probably due to the ambient temp, which I understand, but my neighbor's Hayward Heat pump is heating just fine. I had to replace the heat exchanger 2 years ago. The unit is only 4 years old. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
-Chad

No error codes?

Does it sound normal when running?

Do you have a picture of the system?

Measure the temperature of air discharge coming out of the heat pump fan.

If discharge air is between 8° to 10° colder than the outside ambient air, the heat pump is moving heat into the water.

Feel the air coming from the fan. It should feel noticeably cooler than the ambient air.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

No error codes? No error codes as of yesterday

Does it sound normal when running? Sounds Normal

Do you have a picture of the system? I can get that this evening when I get home from work

Measure the temperature of air discharge coming out of the heat pump fan. I will check this tonight as well.

If discharge air is between 8° to 10° colder than the outside ambient air, the heat pump is moving heat into the water.

Feel the air coming from the fan. It should feel noticeably cooler than the ambient air.

Thank you again for your help!
-Chad

Note that a heat pump does not provide a fast heat up. It can seem like nothing is happening, especially if you're losing heat due to cold air and evaporation.

Is the pool covered?

How long did you wait to see a temperature increase?

What happened to the original heat exchanger?

Note that a heat pump does not provide a fast heat up. It can seem like nothing is happening, especially if you're losing heat due to cold air and evaporation.

Is the pool covered? NO Cover.

How long did you wait to see a temperature increase? I've been checking it since we opened on May 3rd. I realize that it's not a fast heat up and that ambient temp plays a significant factor. Our temps have been in the 80's for highs the last few weeks now and the water coming from the returns is never warmer than the rest of the pool. pump and heater run 14 hours a day. My neighbors with heat pumps have been able to heat up normally.

What happened to the original heat exchanger? It stopped working and was repaired under warranty

Thanks again.
-Chad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.