Pentair Ultratemp Cycles on/off when pump is off

Joe/Orlando

Apr 21, 2014
Orlando, FL
I've had a Pentair UltraTemp for a little over a year. It works fine but when the filter pump is off the heat pump periodically turns on for a few seconds and then turns itself off. I started noticing this at the end of last season...not sure, but I don't think it did this when it was first installed. There are alarms: LOW WATER FLOW (obvious) and HIGH REFRIG (which I've read can be associated with low water flow as well).

I do not have any automation. The installers said it would not run when the pump is off. Do I need automation to have this work properly or is something else going on. Thanks in advance!

I've had a Pentair UltraTemp for a little over a year. It works fine but when the filter pump is off the heat pump periodically turns on for a few seconds and then turns itself off. I started noticing this at the end of last season...not sure, but I don't think it did this when it was first installed. There are alarms: LOW WATER FLOW (obvious) and HIGH REFRIG (which I've read can be associated with low water flow as well).

I do not have any automation. The installers said it would not run when the pump is off. Do I need automation to have this work properly or is something else going on. Thanks in advance!
Sounds like the pressure switch has failed. Is the pump below water level? If so the switch may need adjustment.

Check the pressure switch, but does your UltraTemp have the AutoSet feature? If it was manufactured after 5/9/22 it does not. If it does, perhaps that enabled by accident and since it's not wired appropriately never actually turns the pump on.

Thanks for the response, TKpoolOH. I checked and my heater does not have the AutoSet feature.

I contacted Pentair and they sent a tech out who diagnosed the issue as a bad control board which he replaced under warranty. The board is evidently associated with the pressure switch, but the switch itself was OK.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Reactions: TKpoolOH
replaced under warranty.
Happy Birthday Dancing GIF by Storyful

• Haha
Reactions: Joe/Orlando
Update for internet search posterity: Control board replacement did not fix the issue. Tech came back and replaced the pressure switch and it is now resolved.

Some other notes: the pressure switch appeared to be leaking as the rubber cover over the switch was filled with water. I watched them replace it and it is very simple. Disconnect wires, unscrew old one, screw in new one, reconnect wires. Definitely a DIY fix if you're out of warranty.

Reactions: TKpoolOH
Update for internet search posterity: Control board replacement did not fix the issue. Tech came back and replaced the pressure switch and it is now resolved.

Some other notes: the pressure switch appeared to be leaking as the rubber cover over the switch was filled with water. I watched them replace it and it is very simple. Disconnect wires, unscrew old one, screw in new one, reconnect wires. Definitely a DIY fix if you're out of warranty.
Thanks for the info!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.