Pentair Triton II Sand Filter

ovcactus

Jul 11, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
It's been about 4 yrs using this sand filter and it's time to change out the sand.
I've heard from some pool maint. tech's that instead of replacing sand with sand, a glass bead replacement or something similar
nets superior and longer lasting results.
Anyone have any experience with this and can make a good recommendation for sand replacement and where to purchase?
Thank you
r/Mark

Mark, welcome to TFP! :wave: While you are waiting for some fellow sand owners to give you some opinions, I will say that unless the sand has been compromised with a pool store gel like floc or clarifier, sand doesn't go bad or get worn-out and should never require replacing. Perhaps once every year or two a good deep cleaning would be nice to fluff it up and prevent channeling, but that's about it. As for alternative media like glass, Zeolite, etc, it's a personal choice. We do have members here who use them. But in general we at TFP recommend sand as the most reliable media.

Reactions: wireform
It's been about 4 yrs using this sand filter and it's time to change out the sand.
I've heard from some pool maint. tech's that instead of replacing sand with sand, a glass bead replacement or something similar
nets superior and longer lasting results.
Anyone have any experience with this and can make a good recommendation for sand replacement and where to purchase?
Thank you
r/Mark

Mark, welcome to TFP! :wave: While you are waiting for some fellow sand owners to give you some opinions, I will say that unless the sand has been compromised with a pool store gel like floc or clarifier, sand doesn't go bad or get worn-out and should never require replacing. Perhaps once every year or two a good deep cleaning would be nice to fluff it up and prevent channeling, but that's about it. As for alternative media like glass, Zeolite, etc, it's a personal choice. We do have members here who use them. But in general we at TFP recommend sand as the most reliable media.
Awesome! Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.