Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
Hi,

Two days ago I had a problem where my polaris pump hose broke at the outflow of the pump. We weren't home at the time and found it after a good deal of water had gushed inside of our pumphouse. It didn't submerge any of the equipment, but everything in the building got a good dousing.

When we found it, water was still coming out, so I know my main pump didn't run dry. However, now 2 days later, my main pump (the pentair superflow) is really noisy on both low and high. it's still pumping water great, but the whining is going to be a problem. So, my question is:

Could the soaking of the building have ruined the internals of the pump if it got wet. It would be the same as a major rain shower if the pump were outside. If so, I assume that I'm looking at replacing at least the motor?

thanks in advance,
Patrick

There is a chance that the bearing got wet and causing the noise. Although like you said most pumps sit out in the rain without too much issue.

It would be possible to change just the motor, perhaps upgrading to 2-speed motor.

Sounds like it could be a bad bearing. Could just be coincidence. You may be able to find a local motor rebuild company who can test the motor and fix it as needed.

Some people have posted a link to a video of noise problems do the experts can hear it.

How old is the pump/motor?

If the bearing is shot, time is not on your side.

If you are a beginning DIY'er, it could be a frustrating job to replace the bearing/seal.

Paying someone to replace the bearing would probably cost more than 50% of a new one (generally, equipment managers will tell you to do a full replacement if parts exceed 50% of a new piece of equipment).

A complete replacement requires less skill than the bearing/seal replacement and you get a guaranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.