Pentair SuperFlo VST - data comm port doesn't look like RS-485

Ghune

Aug 16, 2021
Kansas City
Hello,

I am attempting to automate a Pentair SuperFlo VST pump (342002) that is connected to a spa. The installation manual says that the pump has an RS-485 port, but it looks like the wrong number of pins. The Pentiar RS-485 communications cable (350122) that I ordered will not fit.

I believe that Pentairs RS-485 port has 7 pins, but this pump's port (pictured below) has 8. Any idea what cable is needed to connect that to an IntelliCenter?

Spa datacomm port.jpg

Yep - looks like Jimrahbe already answered this for someone else. Once I had that Pentair 356324Z part number, I was able to find the other thread.

I'll order that cable and report back how it works.

G,

Before you buy anything else, look and confirm when the pump was manufactured... Needs to be very last last year or this year..

Also needs to be a VST, not a VS.

If the pump is new, then you need the 356324Z cable.

So far we know of no one that has successfully done this.. So we would love to hear back with how things turn out...

Thanks,

Jim R.

1630625405247.png
1630625435866.png

I'd love to get an update as I will be installing this pump this week. I thought it was going to be an easy install but I opened the box just to realize that the 356324Z cable is not included and that it is not stocked locally. aggghh...

Just bought a Superflo VST to be installed with older heater and booster. I will use external control and relays to keep heater and booster off unless the Superflo is in a high speed mode. I have the pump now. I tried to order the cable (almond, P/N 353129Z), and there are none to be found anywhere. I get this response from one company who appeared to have one and accepted my order "The product you have ordered is currently on national backorder, which means the entire nation is out of stock." I have found the female plug that would be at the end of the cable, and it can be made water tight to the a cable. Does anyone know the pinouts on the plug on the pump? For example, in terms of which pin goes to which functionality. If someone has a real cable, this could be done with a volt meter connectivity test via trial and error, and the colors would tell the functionality. I will use the pinout numbering of the plug manufacturer. Looking at the control cable plug on the pump, pin 1 is at 11 o'clock. Working counterclockwise, the pins count from 2 to 7, and 8 is in the middle. The plug end on the cable would be the opposite: Pin 1 at 1 o'clock, working clockwise from 2 to 7, and 8 is in the middle.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the pinouts on the plug on the pump?
See if this post helps...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd love to get an update as I will be installing this pump this week. I thought it was going to be an easy install but I opened the box just to realize that the 356324Z cable is not included and that it is not stocked locally. aggghh...
Not only is it not available locally, no one online seems to have any and even Pentair has none. I needed one for an install. My wholesaler was able to find one (the last one) at a branch in Memphis, TN and get it shipped to me. I'm in California.

Not only is it not available locally, no one online seems to have any and even Pentair has none. I needed one for an install. My wholesaler was able to find one (the last one) at a branch in Memphis, TN and get it shipped to me. I'm in California.
See if this post helps...
Thank you very, very much!!!! I will check it by making sure what is said to be the red pin gives +5 volts when it is running. Now for everyone's reward back. Here is the EXACT plug that makes up the cable. It is designed to be put on a cable and has a good watertight connection. It is on Digi-Key for $12.25:

It is an Amphenol LTW:
BD-08BFFA-LL7001
CONN PLUG FMALE 8P GOLD SLDR CUP

Attached is the cut sheet. I think Digi-Key said they have over 1000 pf them. Happy soldering.

Attachments

• BD-08BFFA-LL7001.pdf
    105.5 KB · Views: 70
Thank you very, very much!!!! I will check it by making sure what is said to be the red pin gives +5 volts when it is running. Now for everyone's reward back. Here is the EXACT plug that makes up the cable. It is designed to be put on a cable and has a good watertight connection. It is on Digi-Key for $12.25:

It is an Amphenol LTW:
BD-08BFFA-LL7001
CONN PLUG FMALE 8P GOLD SLDR CUP

Attached is the cut sheet. I think Digi-Key said they have over 1000 pf them. Happy soldering.
How'd you find that?! Just to verify that pins are included. I'm installing a solar heater that has a SuperFlo VS and I will be adding a Solar Touch. The cable for the Intelliflo seems to be readily available, but I sure would like to get my hands on just the plugs for that too.

How'd you find that?! Just to verify that pins are included. I'm installing a solar heater that has a SuperFlo VS and I will be adding a Solar Touch. The cable for the Intelliflo seems to be readily available, but I sure would like to get my hands on just the plugs for that too.
The control plug on the Super Flo is stamped LTW. DigiKey has an incredible search engine. Start with 8-pin mini round, scroll down the vendor list and you will see Amphenol LTW. From there, limit to bayonet type, standard use. They have the cut sheets, both make and female. Compare the one on the SuperFlow with the cut sheet to really make sure. It worked for me, no problem. I filled the plug cavity with epoxy to make it really water proof. Be sure and select a shielded cable with the OD that matches the plug exit. I confirmed the pinouts for digital control (not RS-485) in the earlier post.
One thing on SuperFLo is you lose Speed 1 with external control (set to 0 RPM for 24 hr), but still have Speed 2, 3, Quickclean. Still as flexible. I use a 24VAC transformer for trigger control with digital Intermatic controller. I use an AC relay to turn on heater and cleaner power when quickclean speed is triggered, but not allowed on slower other speed selections. I use a make-delay on the AC relay to allow the SuperFLow to get to full speed before cleaner pump comes on.

The control plug on the Super Flo is stamped LTW. DigiKey has an incredible search engine. Start with 8-pin mini round, scroll down the vendor list and you will see Amphenol LTW. From there, limit to bayonet type, standard use. They have the cut sheets, both make and female. Compare the one on the SuperFlow with the cut sheet to really make sure. It worked for me, no problem. I filled the plug cavity with epoxy to make it really water proof. Be sure and select a shielded cable with the OD that matches the plug exit. I confirmed the pinouts for digital control (not RS-485) in the earlier post.
One thing on SuperFLo is you lose Speed 1 with external control (set to 0 RPM for 24 hr), but still have Speed 2, 3, Quickclean. Still as flexible. I use a 24VAC transformer for trigger control with digital Intermatic controller. I use an AC relay to turn on heater and cleaner power when quickclean speed is triggered, but not allowed on slower other speed selections. I use a make-delay on the AC relay to allow the SuperFLow to get to full speed before cleaner pump comes on.
Do you know what pins connect to green/yellow wires on the factory cable?

Reactions: pelagicturtle
Do you know what pins connect to green/yellow wires on the factory cable?
Pins 2 & 3. The color is going to depend on the cable manufacturer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.