Pentair Superflo VS strong enough for attached spa with waterfall?

Did you re-vent the gauge? With an oil filled gauge, any significant temperature change can easily change the gauge reading by 1 psi.

Second, the installation manual says the suction pipe should have a 10 inch straight run before the pump inlet. These guys cut that down to maybe 6 inches. Is this a major issue or minor?.

I didn't see anyone reply to this...but that 6" of straight pipe they put there is not enough, minimum should be 10". I am told anything shorter then this can cause the water cavitation when it comes off an elbow, this then adds stress to the pump. I have seen jobs like this done and brand new pumps required bearings and seal in a month. I think the old factor was 6 and it's now 8 x the size of suction pipe. IE: 1.5" pipe requires 12" straight pipe before pump.

I am sorry but the 5D requirement is total nonsense. It is a hold over from the water distribution industry where the pipes connect directly to the pump impeller. It can make a difference in efficiency for that case but with a pool pump, there is a pump basket that sits between the pipe and the impeller inlet and that alone changes the flow characteristics into the impeller inlet so the pipe length has very influence. There are many many installations on this forum where the distance is only a few inches and there are no issues.

As for cavitation, that is really rare in a pool installation. Many people mistake air in the pump basket for cavitation but that is very different than cavitation. The suction needs to get above 28" hg before there is any possibility of cavitation. As long as there is not any restriction on the suction side of the pump, there should not be any cavitation.

Ok, need to know if I have a problem. Cleaned filter as psi was up to 26, 7 on low speed. Immediately after cleaning psi dropped to 18.5 and 6.5, respectively. The next day psi had dropped to 17.5 and 5.5. Is this a problem or just a normal fluctuation?

The pressure gauge is only 3 months old and bought it from Trouble-free, the oil filled variety.
My TFT guage varied from 9psi in the early morning to 5psi on a 100°F afternoon despite the fact I followed the venting instructions. Eventually I solved this by leaving the brass vent plug pulled out all day. A fair amount of oil seeped out over the course of the day and the guage had been consistent ever since.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.