Pentair Superflo VS strong enough for attached spa with waterfall?

If the jets are 7/16", you will want at least 20 GPM per jet and 80 GPM total so the Superflo would be under powered for that application.

Your current pump is a 2 HP up rated pump with is the same as a 1.5 HP full rated pump in the same pump line. If you are interested in a Whisperflo, the WFDS-6 or WFDS-28 would be about the same size to your current pump. But because of the piping size, going a size up in the pump would probably not benefit you much.

Most of the Whisperflo's come without the switch but you can get them either way. Even with the switch, you can easily bypass it so that is not an issue.

I have a guy coming out tomorrow to estimate, he is recommending the whisperflo 2 speed.

It looks like the full rated whisperflo 1 HP has a stronger gpm at 45-50 feet of head (just a guess for my pool based on what I've read here) than the Superflo vs 1.5 up rated.

Would the whisperflo 1.5 HP full-rated be overkill for my pool? You alluded to such as one of my returns is only 1.5 inch. I don't want to oversize if it's totally unnecessary.

This is just an estimate based upon your plumbing layout but the 1 FRHP Whisperflo would deliver about 77 GPM @ 59' while the 1.5 FRHP Whisperflo would deliver about 82 GPM @ 66'.

Pool pro came out and gave me a quote of 970+150 installation for intellipro vs+

I am leaning towards the 1.5 frhp whisperflo. Cost is roughly 700 or so + 150 install.

Am I crazy? My electric is .15 kwh and I run my current pump about 5-6 hrs avg per month. Higher in summer, lower in winter.

Any thoughts on if intelliflo vs makes sense here?

The VS will cost about $8/mo to run while the Whisperflo would cost about $20/mo (1 hr high speed, 5 hrs low speed). So over time it will save more money than the Whisperflo and will quickly pay for itself. Also, the installer is giving you a pretty good price on installation. If I am not mistaken, the Onetouch can control the many features of the Intellipro, too.

No it has it's own timer but it can't control anything else. But why can't you use your Aqualink? How old is the controller?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It depends on the firmware version. My understanding is the newer controller can talk directly to the Intelliflo via a data cable. But if you have an older controller, a few the Jandy VS pumps (e.g. JEP 1.5) may be able to communicate with it. Something to look into.

That isn't the biggest issue with VS pumps. The thing that kills a VS drive is power surges. So if you have somewhat dirty power, it might be wise to invest in surge protection. I don't think your area is subject to lightning strikes so that is probably isn't an issue.

We do get some lightning from time to time and the grid has had some "events" in the hot summer time in the past that im convinced caused some power surges that damaged even my surge protected desktop.

Does the VS have internal surge protection or is that just he VF?

All in all, im still not confident the installer will know how to hook up the VS without the right automation, I'm not confident the installer will do a great job for 150 with the more delicate VS ( and I certainly don't know to do it), the savings aren't that dramatic over a 2 speed, and I'm increasingly a Luddite in regards to technology. I've had too many bad experiences with electronic gadgets which kind of scares me a little bit. I have no idea of the engineered lifespan of these pumps but I like bulletproof if possible.

I realize I'm talking myself into the whisperflo 2 speed because the VS would seem to be cheaper per the long haul. It's been a difficult decision,pretty silly to agonize over 120 dollar difference per year, in the grand scheme of things.

I don't believe any VS (nor VF) have any built-in surge protection. Many owners have found out the hard way.

But you bring up many of the reasons that I decided on a two speed over a VS even though my electrical costs are twice as much as yours.

I had the WFDS-6 2 speed pump installed today and it seems to work great. It seems noticeably more powerful than the old pump despite similar total horsepower (old was 2 HP 1.1. SF max e glas).

However: the filter psi jumped from 15 psi with the old pump to 25 on high speed with the new! Is this normal?? On low speed it reads 8 psi.

Second, the installation manual says the suction pipe should have a 10 inch straight run before the pump inlet. These guys cut that down to maybe 6 inches. Is this a major issue or minor? Pump seems to prime fine.

My wife didn't get a receipt when she paid these guys...proper punishment...? Will be calling tomorrow.

The pressure reading does not really matter. You are moving more water now, so the pressure must be higher. Just run on low speed to save money.

Note you should clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

If it is running fine, then the pipe length does not matter ... very rarely is it a problem.

Ok, need to know if I have a problem. Cleaned filter as psi was up to 26, 7 on low speed. Immediately after cleaning psi dropped to 18.5 and 6.5, respectively. The next day psi had dropped to 17.5 and 5.5. Is this a problem or just a normal fluctuation?

The pressure gauge is only 3 months old and bought it from Trouble-free, the oil filled variety.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.