Greensboro/NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Firstly, my sand filter did not survive the recent power outage and cold snap. So, I bypassed my filter through the Hayward Multiport, but I cannot seem to get my pump to fully prime.

After our power came back on, I went out to assess the damage. There is a huge crack, and evidence that the water leaked out of the filter. The pump and multiport were frozen as well. However, I did not see any evidence that water leaked out from anywhere else in the system, besides the pressure gauge glass was cracked.

I have since been able to set the multiport to "Recirculate". Disassembled/Inspected/Reassembled the pump, and everything runs fine. No loss in water level. However, it took FOREVER to get the pump to prime. But yet, it still has not primed to fully fill the basket. I can see that the suction side of the pump looks to be receiving full water flow, with no bubbles. However, there are bubble coming our of the returns. I cannot hear any whistling of any kind, nor see any water leaking from any joints or seals.

I have a heater I had planned to install this spring, and I do not want to have to go back and redo the plumbing 2-3 more times.

Question #1 Is my Multiport shot?

Question #2 Will my pump not fully prime when bypassing the filter? (I do not see why it wouldn't, but figured I would ask)

Question #3 Since I am replacing the filter anyway, I am looking to switch from the Hayward S-240, and go with the Pentair Clean & Clear 420, so I will be removing the Multiport, and installing a 3-way valve. Do I go ahead and just get a new pump while I'm at it?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Erik

IMG_2605.jpegIMG_2603.jpegIMG_2602.jpegIMG_2600.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The filter is on the pressure side of the pump and leaks will not cause priming problems.

Look on the suction side of the pump for leaks.

I see diverter valves on the suction side of the pump. Check those for cracks. Failure to prime is due to the pump sucking air instead of water through cracks or bad O rings.

Firstly, my sand filter did not survive the recent power outage and cold snap. So, I bypassed my filter through the Hayward Multiport, but I cannot seem to get my pump to fully prime.

After our power came back on, I went out to assess the damage. There is a huge crack, and evidence that the water leaked out of the filter. The pump and multiport were frozen as well. However, I did not see any evidence that water leaked out from anywhere else in the system, besides the pressure gauge glass was cracked.

I have since been able to set the multiport to "Recirculate". Disassembled/Inspected/Reassembled the pump, and everything runs fine. No loss in water level. However, it took FOREVER to get the pump to prime. But yet, it still has not primed to fully fill the basket. I can see that the suction side of the pump looks to be receiving full water flow, with no bubbles. However, there are bubble coming our of the returns. I cannot hear any whistling of any kind, nor see any water leaking from any joints or seals.

I have a heater I had planned to install this spring, and I do not want to have to go back and redo the plumbing 2-3 more times.

Question #1 Is my Multiport shot?

Question #2 Will my pump not fully prime when bypassing the filter? (I do not see why it wouldn't, but figured I would ask)

Question #3 Since I am replacing the filter anyway, I am looking to switch from the Hayward S-240, and go with the Pentair Clean & Clear 420, so I will be removing the Multiport, and installing a 3-way valve. Do I go ahead and just get a new pump while I'm at it?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Erik

View attachment 467761View attachment 467762View attachment 467763View attachment 467764
Get a new pump. The broken part of the basket is not allowing the lid O ring to seal properly.

If the motor is still good, you can replace the pump pot volute and cam lid for about $ 300 in parts. Four 9/16 screws and two pic collars and it's an easy job.

This was a problem with my pump housing too. Just replaced it - solved the bubbles. Everything air tight! Here you can see by the highlights - the pieces of teeth that broke off while frozen. Making a tight seal impossible. Good luck.

If your motor is good, you just need to replace the volute housing and cam lid. Its an easy fix. 10 minutes tops

Attachments

• IMG_7807.jpeg
    IMG_7807.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: masonea
I think I have the same issue. I notice that one of the rim teeth that holds your pump basket lid down is cracked and smaller. Could this make it easy for the pump to suck air around the lid?
curious about that myself. So, I got close to it to see if I could hear anything whistling, or hissing. Nada

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the motor is still good, you can replace the pump pot volute and cam lid for about $ 300 in parts. Four 9/16 screws and two pic collars and it's an easy job.

This was a problem with my pump housing too. Just replaced it - solved the bubbles. Everything air tight! Here you can see by the highlights - the pieces of teeth that broke off while frozen. Making a tight seal impossible. Good luck.

If your motor is good, you just need to replace the volute housing and cam lid. Its an easy fix. 10 minutes tops
Might give that a try. $300 is a lot better than $1800! Thanks

Reactions: jocko755
I couldn't hear any hissing either. I put a sheet of plastic over the lid with a zip tie to see if that would seal or cause the plastic to suck tight, and Nada. But it definitely WAS corrected by changing the Pump Pot Housing and Cam Lid. Depending on the age and life of your pump - you shouldn't have to replace the whole pump. Good luck.

The filter is on the pressure side of the pump and leaks will not cause priming problems.

Look on the suction side of the pump for leaks.
I totally agree this is most likely. But priming problems can also be due to blockage on the pressure side. It's barely possible that when the filter broke, pieces and/or sand caused a downstream problem. Not likely, but worth checking.

***Update***

I replaced the basket housing and some of the O-rings. That did the trick!

However, now my pump motor is making more noise than before. I’m going to disassemble everything again and try to see what’s going on.

Thanks for all of the help!

Erik

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.