Pentair ScreenLogic Indoor Wireless Transceiver - High Pitched Whining Noise

Mango Daddy

Apr 24, 2022
Atlanta
Our indoor wireless transceiver for our Pentair ScreenLogic puts off a terrible high pitched whining noise. It's currently in our living room next to our router and driving us a little bonkers.

The unit is less than a year old. We've plugged and unplugged to no effect. Has anyone else had this issue?

MD,

Not something we have heard before.. :scratch:

I assume that when you remove the power the sound goes away??

I suggest that you move it several feet away from your router and see if that has any effect.

Let's see what Tom has to say... Calling @ogdento

Thanks,

Jim R.

noise is fickle...
- it could be interference from the router as @Jimrahbe suggested (try moving the transceiver away)
- it could be noise from other electronics (tv, stereo, roku/firestick/streamer, lighting, nearby switch-mode power supply/adapter etc.)
- it could be a problem with the transceiver's power supply (i believe the wireless link ships with a switch-mode supply)
- it could be a problem with the transceiver itself OR the protocol adapter

You said the noise stops when you unplug the transceiver... does it stop if you leave the transceiver plugged in, but disconnect the 4-conductor cable between the transceiver and the protocol adapter?

if jim's suggestion and unplugging the protocol adapter don't work, try another 12v power supply... just make sure you use a positive-tip supply that's rated for at least 500mA (the tip orientation and output current should be marked on the unit)

noise is fickle...
- it could be interference from the router as @Jimrahbe suggested (try moving the transceiver away)
- it could be noise from other electronics (tv, stereo, roku/firestick/streamer, lighting, nearby switch-mode power supply/adapter etc.)
- it could be a problem with the transceiver's power supply (i believe the wireless link ships with a switch-mode supply)
- it could be a problem with the transceiver itself OR the protocol adapter

You said the noise stops when you unplug the transceiver... does it stop if you leave the transceiver plugged in, but disconnect the 4-conductor cable between the transceiver and the protocol adapter?

if jim's suggestion and unplugging the protocol adapter don't work, try another 12v power supply... just make sure you use a positive-tip supply that's rated for at least 500mA (the tip orientation and output current should be marked on the unit)
Thanks for the post. I’m going to move the whole router system / Pentair transceiver system to the garage. If the noise is still a nuisance from the garage I’ll try some of your suggestions.

if you have an old 12vdc wall-wart with an actual transformer inside, try that and see if you can isolate it to the power supply.

I set one up sometime in June and I do recall there being a whine with mine... although I can't recall if it was the card itself or the supply. I think there is a dc-dc converter on the card itself, which could very well be the source of the noise

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.