Rancho Mission Viejo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My PB spec'ed out a pentair SC-75 salt water chlorine generator. I can only find a reference to it on the European website. My PB listed it at $1,500 but is including it "free". Does this make any sense vs getting an an IC20 or IC40?

http://www.pentairpooleurope.com/uploads/document/file/1858/NVA-BR-SC75-EN_LR.pdf

It seems to equate to an IC-20...roughly 20,000g. I think my pool will be between 11-12,000 gallons so that seems maybe a bit lower than ideal based on the "2x volume" recommendation I see here.

Should I be concerned about this? When the cell goes, would I just replace it with an IC20 or IC40 or something?

I was quoted an Intellitouch i9+3 but thinking I may have them update it to an Intellicenter -- does that impact this decision at all?

With the intellicenter, I would recommend the IC-40 or the IC-60.

Get the intellicenter with the built in power supply.

The ichlor you link to is probably a 50 hz model.

Input: 50Hz, 220-240 VAC, 220W, 1 Amp.
Output: 28 VAC @ 5.2 Amp Max.

Also, make sure that you get the intelliflo vs pump. No single speed pumps.

Are you going to have water features (infinity edge, fountain, waterfall etc.)?

If yes, what pump will be used for that?

Yeah, I assumed "free" meant he was marking up other equipment. You pay for things one way or another. He's french, so I don't know if maybe he has a source for those european SWCGs or something.

We spec'd out equipment a year ago. At the time it was:

Pentair intelliTouch i9+3 poo/spa control system with load center+transformer, wireless controller "easy touch remote"
Screenlogic interface wireless connection kit
Pentair Intelli pH Canister w/controller & power
Pentair ETI 400k (my request; he recommended their MasterTemp HD Cupro-nickel ...which I may end up 'downgrading to'
Pentair 520 Cartridge filter
3 hp Pentair Whisperflow VS pump for circulation & 1 of the spa pumps
2 hp Pentair single speed (? model) booster pump for spa
1 hp Pentair pump single speed (? model) for the water feature (3' "arc rain" waterfall feature)

3 Pentair LED intellibrite 5G for pool + 1 for spa

He mentioned the intelliChem as an upgrade to the intellipH but said he didn't recommend it because it just didn't seem to be reliable. He said if they ever figure out how to measure things better it would be a nice addition.

I planned on taking a flyer with the ETI 400k heater even though it's like twice the price of the normal heaters because of its extra efficiency (98%) and hoping maybe it would last longer with the titanium heating element. But that probably isn't a great choice value-wise.

I mentioned the intelliCenter today as I just found out about that so I'm thinking I'll change this equipment out to one of those bundles. I noticed the IC60 doesn't look much more expensive than the IC40 -- is there a downside to supersizing my SWCG and going with the IC60? It feels like an IC40 would be more than adequate...and the IC40 appears to be available in the intelliCenter bundles.

I think I'm going to put a variable speed pump on the water feature because that would let me alter how far the water gets thrown.

Any reason to get a variable speed pump for the spa "booster"? I was thinking it may be nice to be able to adjust flow but the PB said I'll probably want it as high as I can get it most of the time so he thought it would probably be a waste.

Joe,

Other than cost there is no reason to not go big on the SWCG... That said, the IC40 would work fine and I believe at this point the only one that comes with the "bundled" IntelliCenter.

Water features can be very noisy, having a VS pump works well because you can control the amount of water flow to control the sound. Cost is the only issue..

I would not go with a VS pump for a spa booster pump, where you are most likely going to run it full blast anyway.

I agree with your pool builder about not installing the IntelliChem...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.