Pentair Quad DE Filter Internal ring rusting, do I need to replace?

mcinlb

Aug 24, 2017
Long Beach, CA
Just cleaned a Pentair Quad DE filter that has been in service for about 10 years and noticed a metal ring on the inside of the filter is rusting and staining the inside of the bottom half of the filter unit. The rust is coming from what looks like about 6 rivets or welds on the band.

It looks like the inside of this unit:

I saw this part in the Pentair parts diagram but cant quite figure out how it comes out and does it need replacing?

Thank you!

I have a Pentair cartridge filter assembly that is rusting in the same area as well (metal band in the lower assembly). I looked at a new unit in the pool store and it had rust on it so it is more than pool maintenance practices! This seems like a Pentair design/manufacturing issue (rivet or crimp areas have greater amount of rust). Won't this contribute to heavy metals in the pool and unsightly pool stains which require chemical treatment, acid washing and/or aggressive brushing to remove?
Thanks for any feedback.

Won't this contribute to heavy metals in the pool and unsightly pool stains which require chemical treatment, acid washing and/or aggressive brushing to remove?
Welcome to the forum!
No. It will not be a significant amount of iron added. Mine has been that way for 5 years. No issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.